SMUD has teamed up with the City of Sacramento and United Way California Capital Region to offer free tax preparations to qualified customers. Qualified customers may also be eligible for a California Earned Income Tax Credit (Cal EITC), a refundable tax credit for low- to moderate-income working Californians.
For a complete list of virtual events and available languages, please click here and select the Sacramento region.
Low-income assistance and nonprofit discount
You may qualify for a discount on your SMUD energy bill
The Energy Assistance Program Rate (EAPR) provides discounts on monthly bills. Customers with the lowest household income, based on the federal poverty level, will receive the largest discount. EAPR customers with a household income between 0% and 100% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) would receive the largest monthly discounts. EAPR customers with a household income between 100% and 200% of the FPL would receive smaller discounts.
If you run a nonprofit that provides housing or temporary shelter for low-income residents, you may be eligible for a nonprofit discount.
Do I qualify?
To quickly see if you qualify to apply for the EAPR discount, use our qualification tool below.
If you qualify, you can apply online through My Account or download a mail-in application.
|Persons in household||Monthly income|
|Additional members (each)||$757|
Households are eligible for the discounted rate if their income doesn't exceed 200 percent of the federal poverty level. These figures reflect that percentage.
|Federal Poverty Level||2019||2020||2021|
|0% - 50%||$50||$60||$70|
|>50% - 100%||$40||$41||$42|
|>100% - 150%||$30||$25||$20|
|>150% - 200%||$30||$20||$10|
Home Energy Assistance Program
You may qualify for additional financial assistance through the Community Resource Project. Priority may be given to applicants based on the greatest need and income, vulnerable populations and households with young children.
Monday - Friday
8:30 AM - 12 PM, 1 - 3 PM
We offer several other options to help you pay your bill:
- Payment arrangements: See if you qualify for an installment plan or a minimum payment plan.
- Medical equipment discount: We may be able to help if you have higher electricity costs because of your medical equipment.
- Paperless billing: Receive an email when your bill is ready. You can view, pay and track it all online with My Account.
Para obtener información acerca de nuestro descuento de bajos ingresos en español, haga clic aquí.
See if you're eligible for our EAPR discount for nonprofit agencies.
If you’re a qualifying customer who operates a nonprofit that provides housing or temporary shelter for low-income residents, you may be eligible for our Energy Assistance Program Rate (EAPR) for nonprofit agencies.
You may qualify for one of two programs if the residents you serve would otherwise be eligible for our residential EAPR:
- Residential EAPR
- General Services Energy Assistance Program Rate (GS-EAPR)
Is my nonprofit eligible?
This EAPR discount may be applied to qualified accounts that meet the following requirements:
- The customer named on the SMUD account must be a nonprofit, IRC 501 (c) (3) organization
- The account must be a nonprofit public (state, county, city, etc.) or private organization
- The facility must be used to house people who would otherwise qualify for our normal EAPR program (low-income households)
- Documentation must be provided to substantiate the above