You may qualify for additional financial assistance through the Community Resource Project. Learn more about HEAP here.
Free emergency funding available, first-come, first served: Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency (SHRA) is offering emergency rent and utilities assistance for renters impacted by COVID-19. Apply at shra.org/SERA.
Low-income assistance and nonprofit discount
You may qualify for a discount on your SMUD energy bill
The Energy Assistance Program Rate (EAPR) provides discounts on monthly bills based on the Federal Poverty Level (FPL).
- Household incomes between 0% and 100% of the FPL would receive the largest monthly discounts.
- Household incomes between 100% and 200% of the FPL would receive smaller discounts.
If you run a nonprofit that provides housing or temporary shelter for low-income residents, you may be eligible for a nonprofit discount.
Do I qualify?
Use our tool below to quickly see if you qualify to apply for the EAPR discount.
If you qualify, you can apply online through My Account or download a mail-in application.
|Persons in household||Monthly income|
|Additional members (each)||$757|
Households are eligible for the discounted rate if their income doesn't exceed 200% of the Federal Poverty Level. These figures reflect that percentage.
|Federal Poverty Level||2019||2020||2021|
|0% - 50%||$50||$60||$70|
|>50% - 100%||$40||$41||$42|
|>100% - 150%||$30||$25||$20|
|>150% - 200%||$30||$20||$10|
Para obtener información, acerca de nuestro descuento de bajos ingresos en español.
We offer several other options to help you pay your bill:
- Payment arrangements - See if you qualify for an installment plan or a minimum payment plan.
- Medical equipment discount - We may be able to help if you have higher electricity costs because of your medical equipment.
- Paperless billing - Receive an email when your bill is ready. You can view, pay and track it all online with My Account.
Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
You may qualify for more financial help through the Community Resource Project. Priority may be given to applicants based on the greatest need and income, vulnerable populations and households with young children.
Monday - Friday
8:30 AM - 12 PM, 1 - 3 PM
See if you're eligible for our EAPR discount for nonprofit agencies.
Nonprofits that provide housing or temporary shelter for low-income residents may be eligible for our Energy Assistance Program Rate (EAPR) for nonprofit agencies.
You may qualify for one of two programs if the residents you serve would otherwise be eligible for our residential EAPR:
- Residential EAPR
- General Services Energy Assistance Program Rate (GS-EAPR)
Is my nonprofit eligible?
Qualified accounts must meet the following requirements:
- The customer named on the SMUD account must be a nonprofit, IRC 501 (c) (3) organization.
- The account must be a nonprofit public (state, county, city, etc.) or private organization.
- The facility houses people who would otherwise qualify for our normal EAPR program (low-income households).
- Documents to verify the above.