EV charger & installation application for income-eligible customers
SMUD is offering free electric vehicle chargers and EV circuit installation to income eligible customers in single-family homes. This includes:
- A Level 2 EV charger and
- Required electrical work to accommodate your new charger
Am I income eligible?
If you're enrolled in or qualify for SMUD’s Energy Assistance Program Rate (EAPR), you're income eligible.
- If you're unsure if you're already enrolled in EAPR, you can find out by looking at your bill. If your rate category includes the phrase “w/EAPR” or “w/EAPR & MED” then you're enrolled.
- If you're not enrolled, check your eligibility with our qualification tool.
Requirements for an assessment
Before applying, please make sure:
- You're income eligible (see above for qualifications).
- You live in a single-family home.
- You purchased or leased a new or used plug-in electric vehicle (PEV).
- The name and signature on the application matches the SMUD customer of record (customer named on the SMUD bill).
- Complete the form below and attach the required documentation.
What to expect
After your application is submitted, a SMUD Energy Specialist will contact you and determine if installing an EV charger at your home is feasible. Once eligibility is verified, our contractor will contact you to schedule an in-home appointment that follows all current safety precautions.
Before your appointment, download and review a waiver form. Your SMUD Energy Specialist will collect a verbal agreement from you at your appointment.