​Home Performance Program

The SMUD Home Performance Program (HPP) is a whole-house approach that bundles energy-efficiency upgrades to deliver more savings, comfort and rebate options. (Rebates are subject to availability.)

1. Select your contractor

Find a participating HPP contractor at smud.org/HPP. Your contractor will recommend improvements, rebate packages and financing options that fit your schedule and budget.


Find a contractor

2. Select your upgrade package

We’ve improved our HPP program to make it easier to choose what’s right for you. Your contractor will recommend the best package for you based on your needs. There are 3 options:


  • Seal and Insulate Package − rebates up to $3,500
  • Heating and Cooling Package − rebates up to $2,000
  • Go-Electric Bonus Package − rebates up to $13,500

3. Finance your project with SMUD

SMUD offers 6.99% APR financing on Home Performance Program energy upgrade projects. The maximum unsecured loan amount is $30,000,  with a maximum loan term of 180 months and a loan application fee of $100.


Interest rates may vary so please check with a participating contractor or call SMUD Financing at 1-916-732-5472.


Get pre-qualified

Upgrade packages

Air-sealing and adding insulation are often the most cost-effective ways to improve your home’s energy efficiency.
Heating and cooling can be 40% of the energy used in your home.
New electric appliances make your home safer and improve indoor air quality.

Additional rebates with HPP

Additional rebates are available and can be added to either the Seal & Insulate Package or the Heating & Cooling Package 

New Window Bonus: $500
Additional incentives for windows that meet SMUD program requirements may be included with either of the above packages.

Whole-house Fan: $100
Additional incentives for whole-house fans that meet SMUD program requirements may be included with either of the above packages.


Program information

Our HPP contractors follow standards set by the Building Performance Institute and have extensive training in building science and technology.

It is good practice to ask for references from prior customers and check them to ensure you pick the best match for your home. We also recommend requesting bids from multiple contractors when considering equipment replacement.

HPP Home Performance contractors Offers financing Projects submitted in 2019

Airsmiths Home Performance
4101 Garden Hwy, Sacramento, CA 95834
License #950795

Call 916-988-3014



Air Tech HVAC
2885 Mosquito Rd, Placerville, CA 95667
License #955202

Call 530-626-8501



Bell Brothers Heating & Air Inc.
10555 Norden Ave, Mather, CA 95655
License #726129

Call 916-444-1234



Brower Mechanical, Inc.
4060 Alvis Ct, Rocklin, CA 95677
License #686451

Call 916-624-0808



Cabs Heating & Air
3346 Jefferson Blvd, West Sacramento, CA 95691
License #919746 

Call 916-375-1800

 Yes 1-25 

California Energy Consultant Service
11367 Trade Center Dr, Ste 115, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742
License #627677

Call 916-852-8132

Yes 100-150

California Energy Services
4905 A Golden Foothill Pkwy, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
License #747568

Call 916-737-1107



Clarke & Rush
4411 Auburn Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95841
License #608005

Call 916-609-2670



Diamond Heating and Air
501 Giuseppe Court #A, Roseville, CA 95678
License #586277

Call 916-740-2663



Energy Savings Pros, LLC
3334 Swetzer Rd, Loomis, CA 95650
License #977147

Call 916-259-2501

Yes 1-25

Gilmore Heating & Air
4429 Missouri Flat Road, Placerville, CA 95667
License #559305

Call 916-635-0440

Yes 200-225

Golden Aire Heating & Air Conditioning
9408 Orangevale Ave, Orangevale, CA 95662
License #423363

Call 916-988-6137

Yes   25-50

Guardian Home Insulation
55 Fallon Lane, Sacramento, CA, 95819
License #981000

Call 949-813-3763

Yes  1-25 

Huft Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc.
10103 Iron Rock Way, Elk Grove, CA 95624
License #831333

Call 916-686-2626

Yes 125-150

J.R. Putman, Inc.
11330 Sunrise Park Dr, Ste A, Rancho Cordova 95742
License #401802

Call 916-638-2442



Moore Home Services
3618 Broadway, Sacramento, CA 95817
License #1051850

Call 916-484-0138



Phoenix Energy Solutions, Inc.
3332 Heights Dr, Ste 220, Cameron Park, CA 95682
License #981354

Call 916-716-5650

Yes  1-25

RM Mechanical
8047 Stretto Ct, Antelope, CA 95843
License #889331

Call 916-870-7279

Yes  1-25 

Sierra Pacific Home & Comfort, Inc.
2550 Mercantile Dr, Ste D, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742
License #453302

Call 916-638-0543



Star Energy, Inc.
7830 Cucamonga Avenue, Ste #23, Sacramento, CA 95826
License #943350

Call 916-457-7817

Yes  1-25

How much do upgrades cost?

Costs are dependent on the scope of work, your home's size and ability to access the work areas; it's therefore impossible to offer suggested values. Each home requires unique repairs which will trigger different prices.

What financing options are typically available?

In addition to SMUD financing, other options include personal loans or credit cards. We recommend considering the costs and benefits of different financing options to find a solution that best meets your particular situation.

Do I qualify for this program when I'm buying a home?

If you're in the market to purchase a home, SMUD wants you to know you could qualify for an FHA Energy Efficiency Mortgage Loan and SMUD Home Performance Program rebates. Get more information about Energy Efficient Mortgages through FHA.

Why finance energy efficiency measures? What are the benefits?

SMUD encourages energy efficiency home improvement projects as a solution to help customers manage their energy usage and utility bills. Often, the relatively high initial cost of some measures can be an obstacle for some customers. To help offset these costs, SMUD offers financing for energy efficient upgrades to allow qualified customers to enjoy lower energy bills and increased comfort immediately while paying over time. There are no upfront costs beyond a $100 application fee.

How do I apply for financing?

Customers apply for financing through participating SMUD contractors. The contractor will assist you in filling out the application form and determining the type and amount to finance. Before applying for financing, applicants should ensure that they meet the eligibility requirements.

Will you check my credit?

Yes. When applying for a SMUD loan, we will check your credit rating and bill payment history to assist in determining your eligibility.

How long does the SMUD financing process take?

Financing is approved the same day completed paperwork is submitted.

What are the basic loan terms?

The maximum loan amount for an HPP unsecured loan is currently $30,000 with a maximum loan term of 180 months. Interest rates may vary from time to time, so please check with a participating contractor or contact SMUD Financing at 1-916-732-5472.

What is the current annual percentage rate for the SMUD Home Performance unsecured loan?

The HPP unsecured loan is currently 6.99% APR with no prepayment penalties. Rates are subject to change.

Is there a loan application fee?

A loan application fee of $100 will be charged for a SMUD Home Performance Program loan.

Who is eligible for the program?

The applicant must be the vested owner of the property where the products are to be installed. The owner does not have to reside in the property to be eligible. Loans are not made to tenants renting or leasing the property.

What types of dwellings are eligible?

Single-family homes, town homes, and condominiums qualify. Duplexes, triplexes and quadplexes also qualify with special restrictions. Each unit in these types of buildings must be at least 1000 sq. ft. If not, the rebate is reduced by 50% per unit less than 1000 sq. ft. Apartment complexes of more than four units and mobiles homes are not eligible for this program.

Where can I get more information?

You can contact SMUD's Advanced Home Solutions line at 1-916-732-5732. Inquiries can also be referred by email to AdvancedHomeSolutions@smud.org for questions on program eligibility, the installation process and a list of participating contractors. for details on SMUD financing, please contact one of our financing professionals at 1-916-732-5472.

Can I start the upgrades before my application is approved?

No. All projects must receive pre-approval prior to beginning construction. Self-installed measures are not allowed within this program and will not receive rebates. To be eligible for financing, the applicant must receive loan approval from SMUD prior to installation of any product(s). SMUD will not finance previously installed products, or products paid for by the customer or financed through another lender.



Seal & Insulate Requirements

  • Air-seal to California Energy Code Standards (SLA 4.9) or better.
  • Seal the attic floor.
  • Insulate the attic to a minimum of R-38.
  • Install new ductwork, factory-insulated to R-8, sealed to 5% leakage or less.
  • Deep-bury ductwork in attics (does not apply if ducts are not located in the attic).

Air Flow Bonus Requirements

  • Measured system air flow of at least 400 CFM/ton as documented on the HERS CF3R

Heat Pump HVAC requirements

  • 16 SEER cooling efficiency
  • 8.2 HSPF heating efficiency
  • 2-stage compressor or better
  • Connected thermostat (Wi-Fi enabled, 7-day programable)
  • Existing ductwork sealed as required by Title 24 energy code
  • Replacement ductwork insulated to a minimum of R-8

Air conditioner/furnace HVAC Requirements

  • 16 SEER cooling efficiency
  • 90% AFUE heating efficiency, sealed combustion installation
  • 2-stage compressor or better
  • Connected thermostat (Wi-Fi enabled, 7-day programable)
  • Existing ductwork sealed as required by Title 24 energy code
  • Replacement ductwork must be insulated to a minimum of R-8.

Heat Pump Water Heater Rebate Requirements

  • NEEA Tier III rated with a 2.87 Uniform Energy Factor or greater
  • Must replace a gas water heater (photo documentation required)
  • Must include a thermostatic mixing valve

Electric-Ready Home Rebate Requirements

  • Up to $500 paid for each eligible circuit, up to a total of $2,500
  • All circuits must be wired to the source (wire and breaker).
  • Eligible circuits include: Dryer, Cooktop/range, Electric Vehicle.
  • If an electrical panel upgrade is included with future appliance circuits, the customer is eligible for a total rebate of $2,500. The home must be all-electric ready with the panel plus all eligible circuits.

New Window Rebate Requirements

  • 50 sq. ft. of new windows
  • Minimum ratings of 0.30 U-factor and 0.25 SHGC 
  • NFRC ratings labels must be available at time of inspection.

Whole-house Fan Rebate Requirements

  • Must have sealed and insulated dampers
  • Must deliver 1,000 CFM or more

*These specifications are a condensed version of guidelines outlined in the HPP Participating Contractor Handbook. Contractors are responsible for knowing the current program rules and advising customers appropriately.

Our HPP contractors follow standards set by the Building Performance Institute and have extensive training in building science and technology.

To become a SMUD Qualified Home Energy Contractor, work with the California Building Performance Contractors Association to follow the steps outlined below.

To participate in SMUD's HPP, your contracting company must:

  • be a Contractors State License Board-licensed contractor with a California license appropriate to the scope of work i.e., California General B License;
  • maintain all applicable licenses, permits, insurance, and bonds required by Federal, state, and local laws.

Participating contractors must hold:

  • a BPI Building Analyst (BPI-BA) certification, and
  • a California General B License

Participating contractors must:

  • complete an orientation session. Watch a video to review.
  • sign and submit the SMUD HPP Contractor Participation Agreement.
  • be active and efficient (job participation requirement.)


What requirements do contractors meet to become SMUD Qualified Home Energy Contractors?

All applicants are reviewed to ensure their contractor's license is in good standing with the Contractors State License Board, and that all insurance coverage meets the District's requirements.

What does BPI certification mean?

Building Performance Institute (BPI) certification is required by state and local municipalities in order to participate in energy efficiency incentive and rebate programs. To become BPI certified, you must meet stringent, nationally recognized standards by passing both written and field exams.

With BPI certification, you can complete energy efficient upgrades and improvements to qualify your clients for rebates and incentives. Since BPI credentials are recognized across the country, you can complete work throughout the state of California or the nation.

Who should take the training courses?

Anyone interested in conducting business in whole-house energy efficiency auditing, retrofitting or remodeling, including:

  • Remodelers
  • HVAC contractors
  • Solar contractors
  • Insulation contractors
  • General contractors
  • Construction workers interested in expanding their skills

How many exams are required?

There are multiple certifications offered by BPI, but to participate in the SMUD Home Performance program, only the Building Analyst certification is required. To obtain this certification, both a written and hands-on field test are required.

How much does it cost to take the exams?

The written BPI exams cost from $125 to $150 per exam. Field exams cost $415 each. The same costs apply if you are retaking an exam.

How can I prepare for the written exams?

While courses are not required to test for BPI certification, they are encouraged. There are many affiliates available to offer BPI training; please visit the BPI website to find offerings in your area.

What should I expect for the exams?

You will take a 100-question exam and field exam that covers certain fundamentals of building science, as well as, knowledge specific to the designation being attempted.

If you are seeking more than one certification, then you will also take a 50-question exam in the certification designation and complete the field exams.

What is required to pass the exams?

To successfully pass each exam, you must earn an overall score of 70 percent or higher. The Combustion Appliance Zone (CAZ) and Carbon Monoxide (CO) sections of the field exam must be completed with a grade of 85 percent or higher.

How long does it take to process the exams?

Exam results are processed in four to six weeks.

When does BPI certification expire?

You must recertify every three years.


Contractor Resources

License and Certification Resources Contractor Training Resources Contractor Training Reimbursement Resources Recommended Home Performance Equipment List Job Opportunities