Go Electric bonus 

Rebates up to $2,500

After you complete the Heating & Cooling package or install a heat pump water heater, you’ll be ready to wire your house for an EV charger and circuits for all-electric appliances.

  • Upgrade electrical panel (≤ 200 amps)
  • Add EV charger circuit
  • Add range/cooktop circuit
  • Add clothes dryer circuit

Go Electric rebate requirements

  • Must replace an existing gas furnace or gas water heater to a qualifying heat pump.  
  • Up to $500 paid for each eligible circuit, up to a total of $2,000.
  • All circuits must be wired to the source (wire and breaker).
  • Eligible circuits include: dryer, cooktop/range, electric vehicle and water heater.
  • Up to $500 to install a sub-panel if more panel space is needed to electrify the home.
  • If an electrical panel upgrade is included with future appliance circuits, the customer is eligible for a total rebate of $2,500.
  • The home must be all-electric ready with the panel plus all eligible circuits to qualify.
  • Must use a participating contractor in the SMUD Contractor Network to submit rebates. 

These specifications are a condensed version of guidelines outlined in the SMUD Contractor Handbook: Home Rebates Programs Requirements. Contractors are responsible for knowing the current program rules, advising customers appropriately and submitting rebates on behalf of the customer. If your contractor is not approved in the SMUD Contractor Network, they can enroll at SMUDContractorNetwork.org/Login to get started.  

Rebates subject to availability of funding.

Let's get started!

 Find a contractor

Tax credits

Federal tax credits are also available for qualifying panel upgrades installed starting January 1, 2023. Please note: Not all panel upgrades that qualify for the SMUD rebate are eligible for the tax credit.

Tax Credit: Claim up to 30% of project cost up to a maximum of $600
Expires: December 31, 2032
Note: Electric panel upgrade must be installed in your existing home and principal residence. New construction and rentals are not eligible. Tax credits are administered by the IRS and can be claimed when you file your federal taxes.

Learn more about current 2023 tax credits.