Go Electric bonus
Rebates up to $2,500
After you complete the Heating & Cooling package or install a heat pump water heater, you’ll be ready to wire your house for an EV charger and circuits for all-electric appliances.
- Upgrade electrical panel (≤ 200 amps)
- Add EV charger circuit
- Add water heater circuit
- Add range/cooktop circuit
- Add clothes dryer circuit
Go Electric rebate requirements
- Up to $500 paid for each eligible circuit, up to a total of $2,000.
- All circuits must be wired to the source (wire and breaker).
- Eligible circuits include: dryer, cooktop/range, electric vehicle and water heater.
- Install sub-panel if more panel space is needed to electrify the home.
- If an electrical panel upgrade is included with future appliance circuits, the customer is eligible for a total rebate of $2,500. The home must be all-electric ready with the panel plus all eligible circuits to qualify.
These specifications are a condensed version of guidelines outlined in the SMUD Contractor Handbook: Home Rebates Programs Requirements. Contractors are responsible for knowing the current program rules and advising customers appropriately. Rebates subject to availability of funding.
Let's get started!
Federal tax credits are also available for qualifying panel upgrades installed starting January 1, 2023. Please note: Not all panel upgrades that qualify for the SMUD rebate are eligible for the tax credit.
Tax Credit: Claim up to >30% of project cost up to a maximum of $600>
Expires: December 31, 2032
Note: Electric panel upgrade must be installed in your existing home and principal residence. New construction and rentals are not eligible. Tax credits are administered by the IRS and can be claimed when you file your federal taxes.