Low-income assistance and nonprofit discount
You may qualify for a discount on your SMUD energy bill
The Energy Assistance Program Rate (EAPR) makes electricity more affordable for qualified low-income customers by providing discounts on monthly bills.
Customers with the lowest household income, based on the federal poverty level, will receive the largest discount. EAPR customers with a household income between 0% and 100% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) would receive the largest monthly discounts. EAPR customers with a household income between 100% and 200% of the FPL would receive smaller discounts than those with incomes between 0% and 100% of the FPL..
If you run a nonprofit that provides housing or temporary shelter for low-income residents, you may be eligible for a nonprofit discount.
Do I qualify?
To quickly see if you qualify to apply for the EAPR discount, use our qualification tool below.
If you qualify, you can apply online through My Account or download a mail-in application.
EAPR income guidelines* (Effective March 1, 2019)
|Persons in household||Monthly income|
|Additional members (each)||$737|
*Households are eligible for the discounted rate if their income doesn't exceed 200 percent of the federal poverty level. These figures reflect that percentage.
Monthly maximum EAPR discount
Amounts are based on how your income compares to the Federal Poverty Level and can include a discount on energy use as well as a $10 System Infrastructure Fixed Charge discount.
|Federal Poverty Level||2019||2020||2021|
|0% - 50%||$50||$60||$70|
|>50% - 100%||$40||$41||$42|
|>100% - 150%||$30||$25||$20|
|>150% - 200%||$30||$20||$10|
Para obtener información acerca de nuestro descuento de bajos ingresos en español, haga clic aquí.
If you’re a qualifying customer who operates a nonprofit that provides housing or temporary shelter for low-income residents, you may be eligible for our Energy Assistance Program Rate (EAPR) for nonprofit agencies. You may qualify for one of two programs if the residents you serve would otherwise be eligible for our residential EAPR:
- Residential EAPR
- General Services Energy Assistance Program Rate (GS-EAPR)
Is my nonprofit eligible?
This EAPR discount may be applied to qualified accounts that meet the following requirements:
- the customer named on the SMUD account must be a nonprofit, IRC 501 (c) (3) organization
- the account must be a nonprofit public (state, county, city, etc.) or private organization
- the facility must be used to house people who would otherwise qualify for our normal EAPR program (low-income households)
- documentation must be provided to substantiate the above
Other bill assistance programs
We offer several other options to help you pay your bill:
- Payment arrangements: See if you qualify for an installment plan or a minimum payment plan.
- Community assistance: We've partnered with several community organizations to help those in need.
- Medical equipment discount: We may be able to help if you have higher electricity costs because of your medical equipment.
Manufactured and Mobile Homes Program
You may qualify for energy saving products and services at no cost to you.
We are committed to helping our customers, especially those in need. To better serve our mobile home residents, we're providing home energy assessments to help identify eligible energy-saving improvements at no cost. This program is administered by our partner, Synergy EE.
SMUD customers who occupy manufactured and mobile homes are eligible to participate. Tenants may be required to have written permission from property owners.
Energy efficiency improvements covered:
- Central air conditioning tune-up
- energy-efficient, brushless fan motor
- energy-efficient fan controller
- LED lights
- programmable smart thermostats
Maintenance of your HVAC
Performing a tune-up on your central heating and cooling system, along with upgrading the fan motor with a more efficient brushless fan motor can increase the efficiency of the unit and reduce your energy use and costs.
Want to find chances to save?
Take a look at these options available to eligible EAPR customers.