Rancho Seco Solar II Development
Sourcing More Renewable Energy
SMUD is proposing to lease land to a third party to build and operate a photovoltaic (PV) solar power facility adjacent to Rancho Seco. The project would be comprised of solar panels, a substation, switchgear and interconnection to the transmission system. We would purchase the solar power generated from the facility as a source of electricity for our customers.
The facility would provide up to 100 MW of power daily at peak for 20 years or more. At the end of the project’s life, the site would be decommissioned. With this project, we aim to:
- Support California’s renewable energy and greenhouse gas emission goals
- Meet SMUD Board Strategic Directives
- Provide supply for SMUD’s Solar Shares program
- Optimize the delivery of locally generated solar energy
- Minimize environmental impacts
- Promote consolidation of energy infrastructure
Construction is planned to start in 2019. The first energy is expected on the grid in 2020.
For questions or more information, contact RanchoSecoPVSolar2@smud.org.