As a SMUD employee you may be eligible for a benefits package that includes competitive pay, health and dental plans, income protection, retirement and savings plans, and much more:
A choice of comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans.
Regular employees begin accruing upon employment (either two or three weeks a year, depending on employee group).
Thirteen days per year. Unused sick leave accumulates without limit. Conversion of unused sick leave applies to retirement credit.
Nine paid holidays per year plus floating holidays (up to four days).
Retirement benefits provided through the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS). SMUD contributes into CalPERS for all eligible employees. Additionally, all SMUD employees participate in Social Security.
457 and 401(k) plans are available.
Income protection programs
In addition to income protection plans offered under the Flexible Benefits Program, we provide income protection in the event of off or on-the-job accident/illness, such as:
- Workers' compensation
- Extended workers' compensation pays 85% of salary
- Basic long-term disability plan pays 50% of salary
A Sampling of other benefits
- Flexible work hours
- On-site child care/development center for children 0-5 years
- On-site fitness center
- CalPERS long-term care program
- Credit union
- Paid education/employee development program
- Employee discount program
- Safety awards bonus program
- Free employee parking
- Personal computer purchase program
- Social/recreational employee association
- Camping privileges in the Sierra
- Employee Assistance Program
- Close proximity to Sacramento Regional Light Rail
- Rideshare Program/commuter vans
- Easy access to major freeways