Design & Construction Services
Planning to upgrade or add a new electrical panel?
We’re in the process of updating our Electric Service Requirements for residential underground installations.
If you’re planning to replace, upgrade, rewire or add a new electrical panel, please call us at 1-916-732-5700. We can help you make decisions regarding panel upgrades.
Whether you're adding an electric-vehicle charger or building your dream house or a sports arena, our Design & Construction Services team is here to help you connect to SMUD's electric system.
You'll find information about the connection process and electric service requirements. You'll also find links to SMUD's Project Application website, where you can submit an application to connect to our electrical system, track the status of an existing job and make payments.
- Get more information about the application and connection process for a new construction, upgrade or remodel project that will need more than a meter installation and connection of electric service.
- If you need new service or an upgrade to existing service that won't require upgrades or additions to SMUD's existing infrastructure, review our meter and service only guidelines.
Please Note: Each local agency has its own requirements for construction projects. We suggest that you discuss your project with the appropriate agency before submitting your project application to us. Click here for more information about local agency requirements.
Please choose your desired process and get a detailed description of each:
- New SMUD construction required
- Meter and service
- Local agency ABC
- Macro cell site application
- Small cell site application
- Downtown commercial
You can access the project application when you are ready to begin.
Questions? Our Design & Construction Services team is here to help you every step of the way - we're just a call or click away.
Electric Service Requirements
- Customer-Built Vaults – Engineering Specification T001: Dec. 2014
- Residential Overhead – Engineering Specification T002: Feb. 2017
- Residential Underground – Engineering Specification T003: Dec. 2018
- Commercial Industrial – Engineering Specification T004: Feb. 2017
- Customer Owned Service Poles – Engineering Specification T005: Oct. 2018
- Agricultural Pumps – Engineering Specification T006: June 2017
- Distribution Underground Structure – Engineering Specification T007: April 2015
- Customer Owned and Constructed Transformer Alcove – Engineering Specification T013: Dec. 2014
- Residential Distributed Generation – Engineering Specification T014: Mar. 2018
- Commercial Distributed Generation – Engineering Specification T015: Mar. 2018
- Small Cell Antennas on SMUD Distribution Poles - Engineering Specification T016: Jan. 2018
- Commercial Electric Vehicle Program - Engineering Specification T017: Mar. 2018
- Addressing Guidelines for Multi-Unit Buildings
- Real Estate Services
- Transmission Rights & Consent to Common Use
- Savings by Design: A statewide program of incentives and assistance encouraging high performance in nonresidential building design and construction
- Photovoltaic Interconnection information
- Report a street light outage
- SMUD rates
- SMUD rules and regulations