What does it mean to be community-owned, not-for-profit?
For over 70 years we’ve been your community-owned, not-for-profit electric service. What does this mean for you?
- Our customers and the needs of this community are at the core of every decision we make.
- We’re committed to providing you with safe, reliable service at among the lowest rates in California.
- We work for the community, we’re part of the community and we invest all our time and resources in the community.
- We’ve set an ambitious goal to eliminate 100% of our carbon emissions from our power supply by 2030.
- You have a voice in what we do through our employees and your locally elected Board of Directors.
Programs and services
SMUD offers free online resources for customers, teachers and parents.
Powering our community
Giving back to the community in ways that make life better for all who live and work in the Sacramento area. In the last year, SMUD gave...
contributed to local nonprofits
hours volunteered in the community
in contracts to local small businesses
Proud to partner with MOSAC
Overlooking the Sacramento River near downtown Sacramento is the new SMUD Museum of Science and Curiosity, or simply MOSAC.
We’re proud to put our name on this important new community asset and it’s a collaboration that aligns perfectly with our core purpose and vision.
As your community-owned, not-for-profit electric service, we care about bringing educational equity and economic vitality to all the communities in our service area.
Our commitment to MOSAC speaks to these goals by providing STEM education to students, especially those from disadvantaged communities, as well as driving economic development, expanding workforce training and introducing residents to sustainable and energy efficient technologies.Learn about MOSAC