What does it mean to be community-owned, not-for-profit?
For over 70 years we’ve been your community-owned, not-for-profit electric service. What does this mean for you?
- Our customers and the needs of this community are at the core of every decision we make.
- We’re committed to providing you with safe, reliable service at among the lowest rates in California.
- We work for the community, we’re part of the community and we invest all our time and resources in the community.
- We're committed to providing 60% renewable energy by 2030 and being 100% net-carbon neutral by 2040.
- You have a voice in what we do through our employees and your locally elected Board of Directors.
Powering our community
Giving back to the community in ways that make life better for all who live and work in the Sacramento area. In the last year, SMUD gave...
contributed to local nonprofits
hours volunteered in the community
in contracts to local small businesses
Beautifying our community
We partner with the Sacramento Tree Foundation to give you free shade trees that beautify your neighborhood and help improve the air quality in our community. This is just one of the many ways we are helping you and our environment.
Another way we give back is with Shine awards, which provide funds to local nonprofits for neighborhood projects.