Discover how an EV can be a smart choice for you and the environment.
Rebates & incentives
Visit PlugStar for a full list of available incentives by ZIP Code.
You may be eligible for a federal income tax credit up to $7,500 if you purchased an all-electric or plug-in hybrid car.
Get a rebate from $1,000 - $7,000 when you buy or lease a new EV.
Income eligible customers get up to $9,500 towards the purchase of a new or used EV.
Tools & resources
EV Support Program
We have partnered with Plug in America to offer SMUD customers enhanced EV support. We can help you understand the basics of EV ownership and answer questions like:
- How can I get charging equipment in my home?
- How does the federal EV tax credit work?
- What does it cost to charge an electric car?
- Where can I find a dealer with staff knowledgeable about EVs?
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1-877-EV-HELP-1 (1-877-384-3571)
- Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 7 PM
- Saturdays, 10 AM - 2 PM
Online EV tools
Use our EV tools to make an informed decision about which EV is right for you.
Find the EV that meets your needs and connect you with a qualified EV dealer near you. Visit PlugStar to get started.
Use the estimator tool to compare the costs to buy and drive an EV versus a gas engine vehicle. You can access the estimator two ways:
One of the best ways to experience an EV is to get behind the wheel and take an EV for a test drive.
- Browse our event calendar to find an in-person event near you.
- If you can't attend an event, watch our test drive video.