The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a utility payment program that can offer income-eligible residents of Sacramento a credit to their utility bill. Learn more about HEAP
Energy Assistance Program FAQs
The Energy Assistance Program Rate (EAPR) program offers our income eligible customers a discount on their monthly energy costs.
About the program
What is the Federal Poverty Level (FPL)?
The Federal Poverty Level (FPL) is a measure of income issued every year by the Department of Health and Human Services. Federal poverty levels are used to determine your eligibility for certain programs and benefits. The guidelines are issued each year in the Federal Register by the Department of Health and Human Services.
How long will I receive the discounted rate?
We typically ask customers to re-apply every 1-2 years. When it’s time to re-apply, we’ll send you a renewal application by mail or email. The renewal will require current copies of income/sources of money/benefit documentation.
What should I do if I no longer qualify for the discount?
If your income/sources of money or circumstances change, and you no longer qualify, please notify us by mail or give us a call at 1-888-742-7683 to update your account.
Application processHow is monthly income calculated?
- Weekly pay period – average gross pay multiplied by 52 pay periods in the year divided by 12
- Biweekly pay period – average gross pay multiplied by 26 pay periods in the year divided by 12
- Semi-monthly pay period – (1st-15th and 16th-end of the month) average gross pay multiplied by 24 pay periods in the year divided by 12
How current do my income/sources of money documents need to be?
Your documents must be from within the last two consecutive months. Outdated documents will not be accepted. If you’re paid less than 12 months out of the year, please indicate that information on your application.
Where can I get a benefit/award letter?
Most agencies/programs have websites for you to verify and print information.
- Social Security
- Employment Development Department (EDD)
- My Benefits CalWorks/Cal Fresh
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Child Support Services
- Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency
- Subsidy Notice Housing Choice Voucher (HCV)
Does the application come in different languages?
Yes, the application is available in the following languages:
Can I apply for EAPR online?
Yes. You can check your eligibility, apply online and upload your income/source of money documentation with your application. When we receive your application in our system, you’ll receive more information about the status of your application.
How long will it take for my application to be processed?
Online applications are typically processed within 1 week of submission. The status of your application will be displayed in your SMUD My Account online under Account Services. You will also receive email notification.
A paper application received via mail is usually processed within 2-4 weeks of receipt. A letter will be mailed to you with the status of your application.
Once you've been enrolled, the EAPR discount will be displayed as a line item on your bill each month.
Will my income documents be returned to me?
Documents will not be returned to you. If mailing your application, please send copies of any income/sources of money/benefit documentation with your application.
What other services could I be eligible for?
- Medical equipment discount: You may be eligible for a discount if you have higher electricity costs due to medical equipment.
- Energy Saver Bundles: A SMUD Energy Specialist provides eligible customers with a home energy assessment to help lower energy usage and save money.