SMUD Charge@Home Terms & Conditions
Fund availability and incentive amount: Applications are processed on a first come, first served basis and incentive is subject to availability of funds. This incentive will reimburse the customer up to a maximum of $500 for an EV charger (known as Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment or EVSE) and/or up to a maximum of $500 for installation of an electrical circuit to serve an EVSE unit under the terms & conditions set forth below. These incentive amounts reimbursed will not exceed the actual cost paid by the customer for the EVSE and/or circuit installation.
Program is effective beginning December 8, 2021.
- Customer must have purchased or leased a new or used Plug In Electric Vehicle (PEV) on or after July 1, 2021.
- The PEV must be DMV registered at same address as the SMUD residential account service address.
- Purchase of eligible EV charger unit and/or install of EV charger must be completed on or after December 8, 2021.
- Payments for approved incentive applications will be made only in the name of the SMUD customer of record and will be mailed to the mailing address on the SMUD account.
- Applicant named and signature on application must be the SMUD customer of record
- An electric vehicle for the purposes of this program is defined as a four-wheel, light duty passenger vehicles only. Motorcycles are not eligible.
- Limit of one full rebate (one EVSE/one installation) per household lifetime.
Incentives: Incentives will be paid to the SMUD customer of record associated with the residential SMUD service address where the EV charger is purchased/installed. Payments for approved incentive applications will be made only in the name of the SMUD customer of record. Each incentive will be paid up to the maximum based on a reimbursement of the costs actually incurred by the customer. SMUD reserves the right to modify or cancel the incentive if the actual EVSE equipment, vehicle or installation of the equipment do not meet the SMUD Charge@Home guidelines.
Proof of Customer Eligibility
- Signed SMUD Charge@Home application
- Proof of DMV vehicle registration displaying registration address as SMUD service address
Additional step needed after application is submitted: SMUD staff will contact the SMUD Customer of Record via secure email to request and receive an IRS Form W9 completed and signed by SMUD customer of record.
EV Charger Unit Incentive
- Sales receipt for eligible EV charger (see below for eligibility specifications). Receipt must include:
- Purchase date
- Brand and model number
- Purchase price
EV Charger Install Incentive
- Sales invoice from contractor displaying:
- Contractor’s license number
- Date of installation
- Name and address of contractor
- Amperage of circuit installed
- Price paid for installation
- Copy of Permit from Building Department or Authority having Jurisdiction (Does not have to be final inspection signed off)
SMUD reserves the right to request additional documentation prior to incentive payment.
Complete application: An application package is considered complete only when all required documents clearly demonstrating eligibility are received by SMUD.
Incentive payment timeline: Payment will be mailed within 1–2 weeks after SMUD receives and approves an application containing all required documentation but could be longer depending on circumstances.
EV charger unit eligible minimum specifications (list of qualifying EV chargers here):
- Charging current: Supply an output current up to 32 amps maximum (7.7 kW) served by a maximum 40-amp breaker.
- Units with adjustable power output are eligible as long as maximum kW output can be safely served by a 40-amp circuit breaker.
- Equipment must be new and installed for the first time, either hardwired installed on a wall or pedestal mounting or plug-in unit, at the corresponding eligible SMUD service address.
- Vehicle connector: Utilize an SAE J1772 compliant charging connector.
- Safety certifications: UL or equivalent certified by Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).
- EPA certification: ENERGY STAR® Certified
- Warranty: Minimum 3-year
EV charger circuit install specifications:
- A dedicated up to a maximum 40-amp EV charging circuit hardwired or plug.
- lower than 40-amp circuit is acceptable.
- A clearly labeled dedicated EV charging circuit breaker must be utilized in the service panel or sub-panel.
- The circuit must be wired to the end-use location and must be near an on-site parking space.
- Installation must be completed by a California state licensed contractor with a valid license.
Disclaimer of warranties: SMUD makes no representations, expressed or implied, regarding the design, construction, reliability, efficiency, performance, operation, maintenance, or use of any vehicle, discussed, selected, rejected, purchased/leased or otherwise considered by customer. Any decisions regarding the selection, design, purchase/lease, use and operation of any vehicle shall be at the sole discretion and are the sole responsibility of the customer. SMUD does not guarantee energy or bill savings as a result of this incentive. SMUD makes no representations, expressed or implied, regarding the performance, operation, maintenance, or use of the EV charger or installation work or materials or Contractor performance. All product warranties are supplied by the manufacturer/supplier/contractor(s) and all defects will be processed and handled by the product supplier/contractor as applicable.
Customer/Purchaser shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless SMUD, its directors, officers, agents, and employees against all claims, loss, damage, expense, and liability asserted or incurred by other parties, including but not limited to SMUD’s employees, agents, or suppliers arising out of or in any way connected with the EV charger, the installation of EV charger, or incentive payment and caused by the acts, omissions, intent or negligence, whether active or passive, or customer, its agents, employees, and suppliers, and excepting only such loss, damage, or liability as may be caused by the intentional act or the sole negligence of SMUD.
Program modifications. SMUD expressly reserves the right to modify, amend or terminate the SMUD Charge@Home Program, in whole or in part, at any time and for any reason without prior notice.
Authority to install equipment: SMUD customer of record identified on the Application represents that they have the authority to install the EV charger at the SMUD residential address or have obtained the permission of the legal owner of the residential address.
Taxable income: After application is submitted, and for all incentives in the SMUD Charge@Home program, SMUD staff will contact the SMUD Customer of Record via secure email to request and receive an IRS Form W9 completed and signed by SMUD customer of record. Customer is responsible for any and all taxes and liabilities which may be incurred in connection with the receipt of SMUD Charge@Home incentive payments.