What we do
We provide best-in-class operational and consulting services to our client-partners, including Community Choice Aggregators, utilities, municipalities, agencies and energy companies.
- We have strong, established industry relationships and decades of experience in all facets of utility operations.
- We bring our award-winning customer service to client management.
- We’re community-owned and not-for-profit, so any revenues we generate go toward reducing carbon emissions and serving our community. We're in business for all the right reasons.
What we offer
Our full-service contact center provides customer care, program enrollment and billing support.
- Staffed by specialized Energy Advisors
- TOU, high bill, energy management and solar expertise
- Techniques to significantly increase retention
- Customer experience and brand training to cultivate loyalty
- Less than 60-second average speed of answer and 4% average abandon rate
- Outbound calling capabilities
We’ve produced millions of invoices with extreme accuracy and low exception rate. We manage billing data and perform complete bill lifecycle tracking to ensure the accuracy of customer bills.
- One-day average bill processing window
- System flexibility for complex rate and bill designs
- Comprehensive exception management and quality assurance protocols
- Insights through custom metrics dashboard, reporting and data exports
- Easy migration of historical data from IOU or current data management provider
- Local load profile build
- Rate change financial analysis
We’re one of the highest-rated utilities in the nation driven by our quality customer programs. We can implement your programs roadmap or provide some turnkey, quick-win solutions.
- Program design, development and operations
- IDEO Design Thinking certified staff
- Journey mapping for a customer-centric approach
- Strategy development
- Project management
- Application processing
- Grant reporting
We perform complex analytics on data for psychographics, demographics, usage and load, program participation and propensity, housing stock, weather, grid systems, rates, financials and more.
- Time-of-use rate impact analyses
- Peak load reduction potential analyses
- Customer segmentation
- Distributed energy resources impact assessments
- Rate design and change impact analyses
- Integrated resource planning and power procurement strategies
- Load, NEM and revenue forecasting
- Day-ahead and real-time load forecasting
We’re experts at marketing electricity. We provide comprehensive marketing, branding and communication services.
- TV, radio and print advertisements
- Web design, digital advertising and search engine optimization (SEO)
- Brochures, infographics and direct letter and email campaigns
- Outdoor billboards, transit shelters and vehicle wraps
- Concept and message testing
- Strategic marketing planning
- In-house graphic designers and on-site print shop
- Internal photography and video production unit
We have a full-service market research department that conducts over 100 research studies, exclusively around energy, every year. We leverage multiple state-of-the-art tools for understanding customers.
- Usability testing
- Online customer community
- Prototype testing
- Web intercept surveys
- Digital diaries
- Card sort/tree tests
- Conjoint analysis studies
- Industry benchmarking
- Focus groups
Why choose SMUD?
We're a nationally recognized leader in customer care, program design, customer satisfaction, innovation, brand trust and environmental stewardship.