Job Type (select):
Step 1 of 13Prepare for your project
- This slideshow explains the process to connect to SMUD's electrical system. It also explains the common requirements for projects requiring SMUD construction.
You can begin your request for service from SMUD any time by clicking the link below. You'll find more information to help with the construction process by following the links below:
Step 2 of 13Start the application process with your local agency
- Each local agency has its own requirements for construction projects. You'll need to submit your project plans to the appropriate authority and obtain a "plan check" number before submitting your project application to SMUD.
Click the link below for more information about local agency requirements.
View list of jurisdiction contacts
Step 3 of 13Submit your SMUD application and fees
- Submit your application, required documents and fees to SMUD. There are three ways to submit your application:
Online by clicking the button below:
Submit an online application
SMUD East Campus -- Operations Center
4401 Bradshaw Road
Sacramento, CA 95827
Design & Construction Services
P.O. Box 15830, MS EA-105
Sacramento, CA 95852-0830
Step 4 of 13SMUD assigns an engineering designer to your project
- Once SMUD receives your application and fees, we'll assign a SMUD engineering designer, typically within five business days to be your single point of contact for your project.
Our engineering designer will address your project's electrical requirements and schedule to help make sure we meet your needs.
Step 5 of 13Requirements for developer installed civil improvements
- In some cases, you'll need to complete civil improvements before SMUD can begin construction of your project. This could include things such as trenching and installing conduit, boxes and pads for SMUD's electrical cable and equipment.
When civil improvements are required, your SMUD engineering designer will provide you with a Commitment Package that explains the requirements, process steps and your responsibilities. For most jobs you'll receive your commitment package within 60 days or less.
Step 6 of 13Developer's construction of civil improvements
- Your Commitment Package will include information about how to schedule a pre-construction meeting with a SMUD inspector. SMUD's inspector will provide direction for your installation of the SMUD required civil improvements, which you can begin after the pre-construction meeting.
Step 7 of 13Return required application documents to SMUD
- Your engineering designer will tell you what documents you'll need to complete and/or return before SMUD can begin construction of your project.
These can include SMUD's agreement to grant easement, conveyance agreement, copies of your property grant deed or building permits. To avoid project delays, please return all required documents as soon as possible.
Step 8 of 13SMUD completes final job design
- Your SMUD engineering designer will complete the final job design and determine the cost of the work. The final job design will be used by SMUD construction crews to complete our part of the job.
Step 9 of 13Contract and payment letter
- When required, you'll receive a project quote and contract letter from SMUD. It'll include instructions for approving the contract and making a payment.
Step 10 of 13SMUD schedules construction of your project
- We'll schedule construction of your project after we receive your approved contract letter (when required) and any required fees, and after any other holds have been removed from the project. At that time you'll receive an email from your engineering designer that the job is progressing to construction.
Step 11 of 13SMUD's construction work is performed
- Our construction team will install SMUD's electric facilities and equipment specified in the final job design. This includes all equipment except the meter, which will be installed after the panel is inspected by your local authority.
Step 12 of 13Customer seeks local agency inspection approval
- You'll need to contact your local agency and arrange for your electrical panel to be inspected. Local agencies typically notify SMUD of their approval one business day after they approve the work.
Step 13 of 13SMUD completes meter and service work and energizes service
- A SMUD service crew will install the new meter, connect or install the service wire, and energize your service once we receive inspection approval from your local authority. This is typically done within seven business days of the meter panel inspection approval.
Ready To Get Started? Click here to start the application process