Rancho Seco Recreational Area
Get back to nature at Rancho Seco Recreational Area
A short 25 minute drive from downtown Sacramento, you’ll find the 400-acre park that makes up the Rancho Seco Recreational Area. Take a short vacation and enjoy bird watching, boating, camping, fishing, hiking and even a sanctuary for rescued exotic animals and wildlife. Camp in comfort with recreation and concession buildings, shade structures, laundry facility, boathouse and newly renovated restrooms and showers.
Your health, well-being and safety are our top priority.
As we navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic together, we continue to make ongoing changes to restrictions at our Rancho Seco Recreational Area to comply with the Sacramento County Public Health Officers new Public Health Order effective Nov 13, 2020 at 12 PM along with the limited stay at home order effective on November 21, 2020 at 10 PM. These actions are to continue to reduce the risks to the public and the park operators employees.
The following measures have been put in place.
- Park hours 7 AM – 3:30 PM (Monday – Sunday)
- Social distancing rules are in effect. Maintain 6 ft. between you and those around you.
- A maximum of 200 day use vehicles will be allowed in the park. The park will close once this number is reached.
- Group gatherings larger than 10 are not permitted.
- Limited restrooms are open.
- Tent camping is restricted to 25% capacity.
- Kayaking/Boating (Boat rentals are available)
- Dog Park
- Picnicking (BBQ) single family units
- RV sites are active with reservations.
Our park operator has the authority to close or limit park access at any time.
Please, be safe and stay well.
Enjoy an easy seven mile round trip hike at the Howard Ranch Trail. The walk along the lake offers something special in each season – vernal pools in late winter, soft carpets of wildflowers in spring, contented cattle grazing on lush grass. It’s a working cattle ranch, so please leave your canine friends home.
For those who would like to learn from local naturalist volunteers on docent-led hikes, the Cosumnes River Preserve offers springtime hikes on the Howard Ranch Trail. Each hike begins at 8:30 AM, takes 3+ hours and is taken at a casual pace.