With SMUD’s optional Fixed Rate, the price for electricity is set by season.
- January 1 - February 28
- March 1 - May 31
- June 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
On average, the Fixed Rate is approximately 4% higher than the Time-of-Day (5-8 p.m.) Rate.
Note: Customers with rooftop solar systems or who participate in the SolarShares program are not eligible for the Fixed Rate.
The chart below outlines the seasons and prices for the Fixed Rate.
Managing your electricity use
We’re here to help you manage your electricity bill and keep your home comfortable. A few energy saving tips and tools are listed below.
- Sign up for Bill Pay Your Way for the convenience of a pre-determined monthly payment amount and custom due date. You’ll still need to manage your electricity use, especially during the summer months when high usage could affect the future payment amount.
- Complete a home profile and get customized tips to reduce your energy usage. Log in to My Account, select "Ways to Save" and complete the questionnaire about where you're using the most energy.
- Use our interactive My Energy Tools charts to learn more about your household’s energy habits. View your hourly electricity use for the last 24 hours or check your daily, monthly or yearly usage for the past 24 months. You can also set an energy savings goal, track your progress and set up alerts to be notified when your usage is on track for a higher bill than expected.
- Visit our Energy Saving Tips page for suggestions to help you conserve energy no matter the season.
- Go to SMUD Energy Store to purchase energy-efficient products and receive an instant rebate at checkout.