Will my income documents be returned to me?

We're not able to return your original documents, so please send COPIES of any income/sources of money/benefit documentation with your application.

Where can I get a benefit/award letter?

Most agencies/programs have web sites that you can use to verify and print your letter.
Social Security – www.ssa.gov
EDD – www.edd.ca.gov
CalWin - www.mybenefitscalwin.org
Dept. Veterans Affairs – www.ebenefits.va.gov
Child Support – www.cse.ca.gov

Once a completed and signed application with appropriate income/sources of money documents are received by SMUD how long will it take to be processed?

A completed application package is usually processed within 2-4 weeks of being received. After you've been enrolled, the Energy Assistance Program Discount will be printed as a line item on your SMUD bill each month.

How long will I receive the discounted rate?

We typically ask customers to re-apply every 1 to 2 years. When it's time to re-apply, we'll mail a request to you, and will request current copies of income/sources of money/benefit documentation.

How current do my income/sources of money documents need to be?

Income/sources of money documents must cover the last two months as a minimum; outdated income/sources of money documents will not be accepted.

What should I do if I no longer qualify for the discount?

If your income/sources of money or circumstances change, and you no longer qualify, please notify us by mail or give us a call at 1-888-742-7683 to update your account.

Who can I contact for assistance paying my bill?

Home Energy Assistance program (HEAP) may assist you with your utility payment. (916) 567-5200

The Salvation Army offers a variety of assistance to local people in need. (916) 678-4010