Inspiring students through community and hands-on events
California Solar Regatta
An exciting day of teamwork, competition and discovery takes place every year at our Rancho Seco Recreational Area.
SMUD’s fun, educational competition is open to all high schools, colleges and universities in California.
Working together in teams, students design, build and race their own solar powered boats. They are judged for speed, distance, maneuverability and more. Students get hands-on, out-of-the-classroom experience with renewable energy and engineering. View the 2019 flyer
The date for the 2019 Solar Regatta is May 3 for high schools and May 4 for colleges.
Do you have questions? We’re here to help:
Contact Suzette Bienvenue
Energy Education & Technology Center
May 4 – Prep category
- REGATTA CUP Winner: Arcadia High School
- Leading by Example: Pasteur Middle School
- Spirit Award: School of Engineering and Sciences
- Best Design - Drive Tran: Ceres High School
- Best Video: Pasteur Middle School
- Judges Choice: Granite Bay High School
- Artistic: Arcadia High School
- Sustainability: BSA Boaters
- Boat Design: Ceres High School
- Technical: Arcadia High School
- Presentation: Granite Bay High School
- Endurance: Laguna Creek High School
- Speed: Boy Scout Troop 55
- Slalom: Boy Scout Troop 55
May 5 – College Category
- REGATTA CUP Winner: San Francisco City College
- Spirit Award: UC Davis
- Best Design - Drive Tran: College of the Sequoias
- Best Video: San Francisco City College
- Judges Choice: Contra Costa College
- Artistic: UC Davis
- Sustainability: San Francisco City College
- Boat Design: UC Davis
- Technical: UC Davis
- Presentation: San Francisco City College
- Endurance: College of the Sequoias
- Speed: Cosumnes River College
- Slalom: San Francisco City College
Join SMUD and the California State Parks at the Historic Folsom Powerhouse for a family fun day of science activities, exhibits, tours and more. Download the 2019 handout to see event details.
The next event will be Saturday, September 14, 2019 from 10 AM to 2 PM.
- Learn about electric circuits
- Create solar art
- Pose as an electrifying superhero
- See what it’s like to be a line worker
- Tour the magnificent Powerhouse
- Hike the historic canal
- Check out electric vehicles
- Meet Mr. Electricity
- Have fun with family and friends with music, food and other activities
SMUD’s fun and educational Solar Car Race is open to all high school students within SMUD’s service territory. The event is held annually, typically in the month of April.
Working together in teams, students compete for not only the fastest car but also the best design, most sustainable, best engineering and most creative design.
Not only do students get hands-on renewable, engineering and design experience, but they also get to visit a local college campus to talk with teachers and students about the college experience.
Students also love seeing the latest models of Electric Vehicles, with owners from the Sacramento Electric Vehicle Association on hand to discuss the technology and benefits of driving electric.
This event is free of charge to attend and SMUD provides the primary supplies including the solar panel, motor, gears, axles, wheels and tires. Plus, lunch is provided for all competing students.