Discover how an EV can be a smart choice for you and the environment.
Gas vehicles are the the top producers of carbon in California. With an EV, you can:
- save on fuel and maintenance.
- enjoy a smoother, quieter ride.
- experience the convenience of charging at home.
- help provide cleaner air for everyone.
Rebates & incentives
Visit PlugStar for a full list of available incentives by ZIP Code.
For a customized list of incentives, register for your own PlugStar profile.
Register your EV on My Account to receive a 1.5¢ discount on all electric usage between midnight and 6 AM. For a SMUD account to receive the EV rate credit, a plug-in electric vehicle must be registered with the DMV using the same service address as the SMUD account.
You may be eligible for a federal income tax credit up to $7,500 if you purchased an all-electric or plug-in hybrid car.
Get a rebate from $1,000 - $7,000 when you buy or lease a new EV.
Income eligible customers get up to $9,500 towards the purchase of a new or used EV.
Tools & resources
SMUD EV Advisors
We have a dedicated team to provide you enhanced EV support. We can help you understand the basics of EV ownership and answer questions like:
- How can I get charging equipment in my home?
- How does the federal EV tax credit work?
- What does it cost to charge an electric car?
- Where can I find a dealer with staff knowledgeable about EVs?
- Do I need a panel upgrade if I charge my EV at home?
Online EV tools
Use our EV tools to make an informed decision about which EV is right for you.
Find the EV that meets your needs and connect you with a qualified EV dealer near you. Visit PlugStar to get started.
Use the estimator tool to compare the costs to buy and drive an EV versus a gas engine vehicle. You can access the estimator two ways: