Discover how an EV can be a smart choice for you and the environment.
Gas vehicles are the the top producers of carbon in California. With an EV, you can:
- save on fuel and maintenance.
- enjoy a smoother, quieter ride.
- experience the convenience of charging at home.
- help provide cleaner air for everyone.
Rebates & incentives
Visit PlugStar for a full list of available incentives by ZIP Code.
For a customized list of incentives, register for your own PlugStar profile.
EV rate discount
Register your EV on My Account to receive a 1.5¢ discount on all electric usage between midnight and 6 AM. For a SMUD account to receive the EV rate credit, a plug-in electric vehicle must be registered with the DMV using the same service address as the SMUD account.
Federal tax credit
You may be eligible for a federal income tax credit up to $7,500 if you purchased an all-electric or plug-in hybrid car.
California Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP)
Get a rebate from $1,000 - $7,000 when you buy or lease a new EV.
Clean Cars 4 All
Income eligible customers get up to $9,500 towards the purchase of a new or used EV.
If you bought a plug-in EV, you could get up to $1,000 toward EV charging equipment and installation costs. Apply for SMUD Charge@Home.
Get rewarded for charging your EV when it’s best for the electricity grid and allows us to use more renewable energy. Learn about our Managed EV Charging program.
There are 3 types of EV chargers.
Level 1 - Standard 120 volt outlet
- Plug into a standard 120V wall outlet
- Connector provided with every EV
- Great for overnight or workplace charging
- Ideal for typical commutes (up to 40 miles)
Level 2 - 240 volt outlet
- Faster charging for longer drives
- Takes 4 to 8 hours to fully charge a vehicle, depending on how depleted the battery is and whether it's a hybrid or fully electric vehicle
DC fast charge
- Much faster charging at public locations
- Takes 20 minutes to reach 80% charge
- Requires a special plug receptacle on your vehicle
Choose from more than 1,500 public charging stations.
Tools & resources
EV Support Program
We have partnered with Plug in America to offer SMUD customers enhanced EV support. We can help you understand the basics of EV ownership and answer questions like:
- How can I get charging equipment in my home?
- How does the federal EV tax credit work?
- What does it cost to charge an electric car?
- Where can I find a dealer with staff knowledgeable about EVs?
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1-877-EV-HELP-1 (1-877-384-3571)
- Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 7 PM
- Saturdays, 10 AM - 2 PM
Online EV tools
Use our EV tools to make an informed decision about which EV is right for you.
Find the EV that meets your needs and connect you with a qualified EV dealer near you. Visit PlugStar to get started.
Use the estimator tool to compare the costs to buy and drive an EV versus a gas engine vehicle. You can access the estimator two ways:
- Log in to My Account to calculate your actual electricity usage and get a side-by-side cost comparison between vehicles.
- Use our online estimator to enter your own data.
One of the best ways to experience an EV is to get behind the wheel and take an EV for a test drive.
- Browse our event calendar to find an in-person event near you.
- If you can't attend an event, watch our test drive video.