SMUD's Home Performance Program
Is your home leaking energy? Do temperatures differ from room to room? These issues can signify inefficiencies in your home, which can waste money and sacrifice comfort.
With SMUD's Home Performance Program, you will learn precisely where your home is leaking energy and how to qualify for SMUD rebates. To view available rebates, go to our Home Rebates & Energy Solutions page and click on the "Home Performance" tab.
High infiltration, outdated heated and cooling systems, inadequate insulation, faulty duct installation, and single-paned windows can cause your home to leak energy impacting your overall comfort and costing you hundreds of dollars a year on your utility bill. The Home Performance Program makes it easy for home owners to scientifically assess and improve their home's efficiency. It all starts with an energy assessment.
Home Energy Assessment
SMUD's Home Energy Assessment is a comprehensive energy evaluation by a SMUD qualified home performance contractor. It is your first step toward transforming your home into a more energy efficient and comfortable environment.
The Home Performance Program contractor will thoroughly test your home's energy performance. You'll receive a detailed report of where your home is losing energy. That report will also include an energy savings plan with an estimated rebate amount, and a quote to complete the work.
What will be assessed?
- Air sealing (infiltration rate)
- Weather stripping
- Attic insulation
- Hot water system insulation
- Smoke and carbon monoxide alarm
- Thermal barrier
- Duct sizing and sealing
- Wall and floor insulation
- Air conditioner
- Water heater
How it Works
- Schedule your energy assessment. Review a list of participating contractors and schedule your assessment today.
- Select your upgrades. Review your report and customized recommendations with your contractor and select the upgrades that will yield the greatest results.
Note: some measures are mandatory depending upon the existing condition of the home.
- Complete your upgrades. Your contractor will install your upgrades and complete all required paperwork needed to get your rebate.
- Collect your rebate. Your rebate check from SMUD will arrive 4-6 weeks after all paperwork has been received.
Savings, Rebates & Financing
Depending on the upgrades you choose to install, you can achieve 15-50+% in annual electric savings and up to $5,000 in energy upgrade rebates. The more improvements you do to your home, the higher the energy savings and the greater your rebate.
Additional incentives may be available from your local gas utility provider as well as tax incentive rebates. Check with your Home Performance contractor for details.
To help you get your Home Performance project started, SMUD is now offering a 5.50% APR on an unsecured loan. This new loan program is:
- Available on owner and non-occupied property
- A 5.50% APR unsecured loan
- Available only under the Home Performance Program (HPP) and must conform to SMUD's program requirements. Click here for more details.
Now you can pre-qualify for SMUD financing. Contact SMUD Financing at 916-732-5472, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday, for information.
Note: Rebate levels are subject to change and availability is on a first come, first serve basis while funding lasts. Additional rebates may be available from your local gas utility.