Get valuable work experience as you earn your college degree.
If you attend college, we may have a job for you. We're looking for full-time students who can work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. During the summer and academic breaks, students can work up to 130 hours per month when work is available.
Up to$23 /hr
More than95 interns
Worked with us last year
Of 2017 interns,25 %
College internship highlights
- Competitive pay
- Flexible hours
- An inclusive and diverse culture
- Paid sick time
- Exposure to various departments
- Networking opportunities and events
- Interaction with established career professionals
- Community service and volunteer opportunities
- Career and industry training opportunities
- Interaction with other student interns
- Exposure to management
These are the minimum requirements across all college student positions:
- Be enrolled as a full-time student (12 units undergrad / 8 units graduate level) at a college or university
- Minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 each year and each semester/quarter
- Cannot have relatives who work at SMUD
- Must not have more than two vehicle violations in the past two years
If you have questions about college internships, please contact us at SMUDRecruiter@smud.org.
SMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
STEM Student Assistant
$19.55 - $23.81/hour
- Full-time student (12 units undergrad or 8 units graduate level) studying science, technology, engineering or math
Student Staff Assistant
$15.82 – $19.28/hour
- Full-time student (12 units undergrad or 8 units graduate level)
$30.31 – $40.13/hour
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited school
- Full-time graduate student (8 units) in an accredited school
- Completed at least one year of graduate course work
- At least two years of relevant work experience
As an intern, you'll have the opportunity to gain real work experience and new skills in your chosen career. Here are just a few of the things our interns are responsible for:
Treasury & Risk Management Intern
Energy Education Intern
iSOC Technician Intern
Community Outreach Events Intern
Education Relations Intern
R & D Engineering Intern
Environmental Science Intern
Marketing and Market Research Intern
College intern testimonials
My internship at SMUD has been an invaluable and fundamental step in my development. I’m able to use the knowledge and skills that I‘m learning in school and apply them to my work. Overall, SMUD has provided me with many opportunities and learning experiences that have helped me grow as a student, an individual and as an intern. I’m glad that I‘m able to work around amazing people that have taught me not only work-related skills but also personal skills that will help me with future job opportunities.
I was fortunate enough to be a recipient of the Powering Futures scholarship in 2016. Overall, I’ve had an enjoyable time and experience at SMUD. As an intern I continue to gain hands-on experience and have access to great mentors. I feel fortunate to continue enhancing my skills and knowledge every single day and hope to continue working for such a great organization in the future.
Being an intern at SMUD was one of the most rewarding experiences because what I learned here is nothing that I would have learned in my college courses. This internship has prepared me for the real world. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming that it felt like I was a part of the family. Being surrounded by that type of environment is what made me want to get up and go to work every day.
When I started at SMUD as an intern, I was afraid to answer the phone. Now, I plan events, present to hundreds of people and care about light bulbs more than I ever thought I would. On top of the professional experience, my internship helped me win scholarships, improved my confidence and created lifelong friendships.
High school student jobs
Empower your future with a summer high school internship
- Gain real work experience and new skills to add to your resume
- Learn about the public utility industry
- Attend professional workshops
- Network with other students and industry professionals
- Tour SMUD facilities
- Learn valuable leadership skills
- Must be 16 years of age or older (currently a Junior or Senior in high school)
- Have a 2.5 GPA or higher
- Provide your own transportation
- Attend mandatory (unpaid) program orientation
- Attend mandatory (unpaid) work readiness workshops and video interviews
- Attend mandatory (paid) 3 day internship preparation workshops
- Be able to work 36 hours a week
- Be comfortable using email and the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Must attend an eligible high school in our SMUD service area. Eligibility rotates each year between the eight high school districts in our service area.