Current Power Protection customers
You are still enrolled in Power Protection and your service agreement will remain the same.
A whole house surge protector was installed on your meter to intercept power surges. It protects appliances with motors, such as your dishwasher, microwave, air conditioner, washer, dryer and refrigerator. SMUD’s Power Protection whole house protection remains $6.95 per month, and will continue to be added to your monthly SMUD bill.
Your appliances are warrantied by the manufacturer against damage from surges. Please refer to SMUD's Terms and Conditions and the LEA International Manufacturer's Warranty (for devices installed between 1998 - 2004), EFI Electronics Manufacturer's Warranty (for devices installed between 2005 – 2012) and Meter-Treater (for devices installed in 2013).
To file a claim:
- Download the form, fill it out and mail, fax or email it to:
Attn: Claims MS A253
P.O. Box 15830
Sacramento, CA 95852-0830Fax:
- SMUD will determine the cause of the surge.
- The device will be inspected to see if it experienced a surge (LED lights are inspected to see if a surge occurred).
- Customer submits receipts or estimates for replacement of damaged equipment.
- Claims will be reviewed by SMUD for payment.
See our Surge Protection Basics page.