Virtual classroom visits
We are now offering free virtual classroom visits, including hands-on materials, so your students can build, discover and learn at a distance. There are multiple lessons to choose from:
- Each lesson includes a fun, interactive self-paced online activity which can be assigned as class time or homework.
- Our staff will join your class to lead your students through an engaging live exploration of your energy and/or sustainability topic.
- We’ll send project materials for your students to reinforce learning objectives.
- We’ll provide worksheets to accompany each lesson.
- Lessons available for all grade levels and target NGSS standards.
To sign up for a free lesson email ETCmail@smud.org.
We're working on a fall class schedule to make STEAM education come alive for you and your students with free, professional workshops.
Please check back soon once our schedule has been finalized. Thank you!
January - April 2022
YES is a three-day climate and sustainability summit for junior and senior students at high schools in Sacramento county.
Working together in teams, students build a solar race car and compete for fastest car, best design, best engineering and more.
An exciting two days of teamwork, competition and discovery takes place every year at our Rancho Seco Recreational Area.
Explore our library of standards-based lesson plans, hands-on activity guides, educational animated videos, and other STEAM related content.
Parent resources for children
Looking for ways to keep kids engaged while learning at home?
Keep your home learners engaged with age-appropriate, standards-based lessons from SMUD and the National Energy Education Development Project (NEED).
Each lesson will include a short reading, worksheet and additional learning resources. View lessons for:
We're proud to light your homes, your businesses and the streets around your neighborhood. And because we're community-owned and not-for-profit, we keep you at the heart of all we do, like supporting local schools with fun, hands-on science education.