Ready to replace your old, inefficient appliances? Be sure to check here first for SMUD rebates on qualified ENERGY STAR® products.
Apply for your $100-$500 induction cooktop/range rebate
Features and benefits
- Induction heats up a pot of water nearly twice as fast as gas or standard electric.
- More energy-efficient than traditional electric cooktops, which can save you money on your electric bill.
- Since its surface is completely sealed, it's safer because there’s no exposed heating element or open flame. And, unless there’s cookware on it, the cooktop doesn’t heat up—even if it’s turned on.
- Induction cooktops produce zero kitchen pollution. Natural gas stoves can release carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and other harmful pollutants into the air.
- With its smooth surface, cleaning up is a snap.
- Your kitchen stays cooler and less heat is wasted, since the cooktop’s heat is focused on the pan and nowhere else.
- Precise, digital controls give you the exact heat you want, every time.
- Must install an induction cooktop/range measuring 30” or larger.
- Both standalone cooktops and ranges with built-in induction cooktops are eligible.
- Electric-to-electric replacements qualify for a $100 rebate.
- Gas-to-electric replacements qualify for a $500 rebate. We require a "before" photo of the old gas cooktop/range in place and an "after" photo showing the new induction cooktop/range installed.
The Sacramento Library offers free induction cooking classes. Find a class to attend
Due to the unforeseen and sizeable economic impacts of COVID-19, we have made the difficult decision to suspend heat pump water heater rebates for the remainder of the year.Rebates will need to be submitted by a qualified participating contractor through SMUD’s Contractor Network. Questions? Customers, please contact Advanced Home Solutions at 916-732-5732. Contractors, please contact Efficiency First California at 916-209-5117 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Features and benefits
- Electric resistance water heaters are among the highest energy consuming products in your home. A heat pump water heater can reduce electricity use for water heating by up to 60%
- Heat pump water heaters transfer heat from surrounding air to heat water, using ambient air to move heat instead of using electricity to create heat
- Reduces the overall energy consumption and monthly utility bills
- Cools the area it's located in, usually the garage
What mode should be used when the heat pump is installed?
Auto/hybrid mode: The best combination of efficiency and performance. The heat pump does the majority of the water heating, with contribution from electric resistance elements only when needed.
Heat pump only mode: Applicable for scenarios when two or fewer occupants live in the home or there is significantly less than average hot water consumption.
- Residence must be in SMUD service territory
- Customer is solely responsible for obtaining related building permits and completing the inspection process as required by local jurisdiction.
- Manufactured, modular or factory built homes transported and assembled on site DO NOT QUALIFY for a rebate unless all of the following can be demonstrated.
- Homeowner is an active SMUD customer with an active SMUD account
- Home is individually metered by SMUD
- Home is placed on a permanent foundation
- Manufactured, modular or factory built homes transported and assembled on site must be built in conformance with state and local building code and governed by local or the County of Sacramento Building Department.
- Mobile homes on a chassis and axle constructed under HUD codes or that have a State of California Community Services Department sticker indicating status as a licensed mobile home DO NOT QUALIFY.
- Unit must have Uniform Energy Factor (UEF) of 2.87 or higher
- Minimum of 50 gallon capacity
- Installation must include a thermostatic mixing valve. A mixing valve is a physical component installed on your water heater that blends hot water with cold water to ensure a constant, safe water faucet outlet temperature.
When you upgrade to a heat pump water heater, you may be eligible to join our PowerMinder pilot and receive a $150 incentive plus a monthly bill credit. Learn more
Apply online for a clothes washer rebate up to $125.
Features and benefits
- Energy savings up to $125 depending on water district
- Energy savings of 43% over regular washers and 45% less water than regular washers
- Savings of up to $45 per year
- Water savings of 3,000 gallons of water per year
- Must be a SMUD electric residential service customer
- Purchase of material must occur within the program period (or until program funds are depleted)
- The location of installation must be served by one of the water service providers listed on the application
- Residential and multi-family residents or property owner applicants are eligible with water service provider bill provided as proof of address for site of installation
- Customer is eligible for receiving only one clothes washer rebate per address per calendar year
The rebate is available on eligible products.
Rebates depend on participating water districts:
- Citrus Heights Water District, $50
- City of Sacramento, $125
- Fair Oaks Water District, $50
- Orange Vale Water Company, $50