Time-of-Day (5-8 p.m.) Rate
Managing your electricity use
You can save on your SMUD bill by shifting your electricity use to off-peak hours before 5 PM and after 8 PM weekdays and all day on weekends and holidays.
Consider doing household chores like laundry or running your dishwasher before 5 PM or after 8 PM. Or schedule chores for any time on weekends and holidays when all hours are at the lowest off-peak price.
Are you an electric vehicle owner? Learn how you can get a discount on your electric bill.
Energy savings tips
Shifting your appliance use to low-cost off-peak hours can help lower your electric bill.
TOD savings tip
Set the thermostat to 78 degrees or higher. You'll save around 5-10% on cooling costs for every 2 degrees you raise the temperature.
- Start or program your dishwasher, washing machine or clothes dryer to run and finish before 5 PM or start after 8 PM Monday through Friday. All hours on weekends and holidays are at the lowest off-peak rate.
- Wash full loads of laundry whenever possible and switch your temperature setting from hot to warm to cut energy use in half for a single load. Using the cold cycle can reduce energy use even more. About 90% of the energy consumed for washing clothes is used to heat the water.
- Try to avoid using multiple appliances like your dishwasher, air conditioner and washer and dryer at the same time between 5 PM and 8 PM during the week, when rates are highest.
- Use small appliances to cook. Microwaves, toaster ovens and pressure cookers use about 66% less energy than a conventional oven.
- Since up to 20% of heating and cooling inside a typical home is lost through the windows, check the weather stripping and caulking around doors and windows.
- Gaming systems are fun but also use a lot of energy. Give your system a rest from 5 PM to 8 PM. Activate power saving settings and turn off controllers when not in use. Learn more at energystar.gov.
Learn more about the different time periods and prices for Time-of-Day.
Get a set monthly bill for 12 months at a time. Manage your usage, especially in the summer.
Customer success stories
Paul said the switch to Time-of-Day has not been difficult for his family.
"It's amazing how much just minor changes can make a big difference."
See how Paul's family made the switch.
Brian made small changes in his energy usage and has seen great results on the Time-of-Day Rate.
"I've been a TOD customer for about 2 years now. I noticed my bill has actually gone down on the rate."
Watch Brian's story to see how he made TOD work for his lifestyle.