Peak Conserve is a voluntary, limited-enrollment, summer program that helps us maintain an affordable and reliable electric system for everyone in our community.
Cooling a home uses a lot of energy. On extremely hot days, demand can spike so much that getting power to everyone who needs it can be inefficient—and expensive.
When you enroll in Peak Conserve, here's what you can expect:
- We install a “cycling” device on your home’s central air conditioner that helps shift some of your energy usage out of the hours when demand is highest.
- Similar to how your air conditioner typically works, the device periodically turns off (cycles) the unit during conservation events, when we need to reduce the overall amount of electricity being used.
- We'll send you an email to let you know when we’re going to call a conservation event and we’ll never cycle your air conditioner on non-event days.
- In total, your air conditioner will be cycled off 40 minutes each hour of a conservation event, likely only up to 2 hours in one day, to help stabilize the electric system. Your fan will still run and no other appliances will be affected.
Peak Conserve members receive a $50 enrollment bonus, plus an annual participation bonus (up to $25).
Why should I join Peak Conserve℠?
By joining Peak Conserve, you’re helping us improve our energy system by reducing strain on the grid when demand is highest. Not only will you get rewards for being a member, including a $50 enrollment bonus and up to $25 for each year you participate, but you may also see lower bills in the summer.
How do I enroll?
Eligible customers receive an email invitation with a link to the Peak Conserve customer portal to schedule the device installation. (Please note than any air conditioning equipment more than 15 years old may need to be evaluated by our technicians to determine if it’s eligible for the program, and we may also need you to be home during the installation to turn on the system.) After the device is installed, you’ll receive your enrollment incentive and be eligible for the $25 annual participation bonus.
Customers who are enrolled in SMUD's My Energy Optimizer® Partner (smart thermostat) program or SMUD's Medical Equipment Discount (MED) Rate are not eligible to participate in Peak Conserve.
If I didn’t receive an invitation, can I still join the program?
Please email your request to PeakConserve@smud.org to be considered for the program.
Who installs the device? Is there any cost to me?
What is the Peak Conserve cycling device and how does it work with my air conditioner?
When the device is installed on your home’s central air conditioner, it will turn off (cycle) the unit during conservation events only to help reduce the overall amount of electricity being used during extreme weather conditions. For each hour of an event, your air conditioner will be cycled off for 20 minutes, come back on for 10 minutes, and then repeat the process. In total, your air conditioner will be cycled off 40 minutes each hour of the event to help stabilize the electric system. Each event will likely last less than 2 hours and will not occur more than once a day. Your fan will continue to run and no other appliances will be affected.
How do I find the Peak Conserve℠ customer portal?
Visit the Peak Conserve customer portal to join. Enrollment is limited to pre-validated customers. Only eligible customers will be able to enroll.
What is a conservation event?
When it gets so hot that the demand for energy spikes, we'll schedule a conservation event. During these events, we'll activate the Peak Conserve device to cycle off your air conditioner up to 40 minutes an hour, to help flatten the demand and keep energy prices down. Your fan will continue to run and no other appliances will be affected.
Conservation events will only be called between June 1 to September 30. Typically, they’ll be 2 hours long or less, and not more than 4 hours, and occur in the afternoon or evening. We anticipate a maximum of 15 conservation events each summer, depending on weather and grid conditions.
- Occur between June 1 and September 30
- Based on times of high energy demand
- Limited to one event per day
- Will typically last 2 hours or less, no more than 4 hours
- Will occur on weekdays and/or weekends between noon and midnight
- Events lasting more than 2 hours are limited to no more than 3 per week
How will I know when a conservation event is called?
We'll send you an email to let you know when we’re going to call a conservation event and we’ll never cycle your air conditioner on non-event days.
Can I opt out of a conservation event?
How do I receive my annual bonus?
To receive the annual participation bonus, participants must remain enrolled in the program from the date of enrollment through September 30. The bonus amount will be based on your participation in conservation events each summer.
What if there’s a problem with the cycling device?
Please email PeakConserve@smud.org if there is any issue with the cycling device.
How do I unenroll from Peak Conserve?
Please email your request to PeakConserve@smud.org.