customers without power from accidents in 2017
hit SMUD equipment in 2017
in repair costs per pole
Car pole safety
We replace a power pole about every other day because of a car accident.
Your safety is our first priority
We're seeing more cars hit our power poles, often because of distracted driving.
We don't want to see anyone get hurt. 5 lives were lost in 2017.
Watch our video or read below on what to do if you hit a power pole.
Please steer clear of the poles and drive safely.
Tips in case you hit a power pole
|Stay in your car and call 911.|
If the car is on fire, jump out,
|Get at least 40 feet away and do not go back.|
|Do not touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.||Call 911 and warn others to stay away from the area.|
We want to keep you safe, both in and out of your home. When driving:
- Use your cell phone for emergency situations only and after pulling over.
- Limit the number of passengers and activity inside the car.
- Avoid eating while driving.
- Do not attempt to multi-task while operating a vehicle.
Make sure there are ideal conditions
- Never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Pay attention to and obey all speed limits and signs.
- Adjust your driving during extreme weather conditions.
- If you have to be somewhere on time, leave early.
- If you are drowsy, pull off the road.
- Check both sides of the street before crossing at a green light.
- Make sure that you and your passengers are always wearing seatbelts.
Total car accidents involving SMUD equipment:
5 lives lost in 2017.
Most car accidents with SMUD equipment happens December - May.
Drivers are ultimately responsible for all the damages related to the accident.
4-6% of all outages are caused by a car accident with SMUD equipment.
It costs about $20,000 in SMUD costs alone.
If a power pole is hit multiple times, we look at solutions to reduce the risk that it will be hit again:
Install higher visibility reflective strips. All new
poles get these as a standard.
Install large, protective barriers around the pole.
Relocate the pole or structure.
Discover workshops and training opportunities for local teens
January 23, 2019
4:30 - 7:30 PM
SMUD Customer Service Center- Rubicon Room
6301 S St, Sacramento, California, 95817
Stop Distracted Teen Drivers: Parent-Teen Workshop