Summer is here! Stay safe, beat the heat and save some money too
SMUD offers tips to affordably be cool and comfortable
The first heat wave of 2019 is here. Power reliability is one of the top jobs SMUD aims to achieve every day, and it is a core value. SMUD wants customers to know that crews are ready to respond safely and quickly in the event of power outages. SMUD has enough power resources to meet summer demand—barring a regional or state grid emergency like a wildfire near high-voltage lines or equipment.
While SMUD customers enjoy some of the lowest rates in California, air-conditioning needs can drive customer usage and bills. It’s easy to keep energy use in check without giving up cooling comfort. The first step is keeping your home from heating up, which can reduce immediate cooling costs and help save on long-term costs from wear and tear on cooling equipment.
SMUD customers have been transitioned to Time-of-Day rates, a form of time-based pricing where electricity will cost more during summer weekdays from 5 to 8 p.m. but much less during the rest of the day, and on weekends and holidays.
The new rate structure puts pricing into customers’ hands. By shifting or reducing energy usage, customers can actually save on their bills and help SMUD continue to provide clean electricity at some of the lowest rates around.
For those customers who may have trouble shifting their energy usage, SMUD is offering an alternative fixed rate that offers a more consistent bill yet is about 4 percent higher over all hours of the day.
SMUD has energy-saving solutions available on its website and offers the following tips to save money:
- Shift the use of non-essential appliances to off-peak hours whenever possible.
- Use electronic devices in battery mode during peak hours and charge them in off-peak.
- In the summer, use fans and close blinds on windows that get direct sun.
- Swap out light bulbs for LEDs.
- Use a programmable/smart thermostat to help control HVAC during peak and non-peak hours.
- Customers can also get customized tips, manage their bills and set up alerts on the website.
For more information on SMUD’s new Time-of-Day pricing structure, visit smud.org/TimeOfDay.