​Interconnection information

Here's what you need to know about our interconnection guidelines if you're considering generating some or all of your own power.

Note: Interconnected energy storage will be treated as distributed generation and fall under Rule 21 interconnection requirements. Please refer to Rate Policy 11-01 for policy and requirements. To qualify for NEM, all storage must be charged with renewable energy on site.

Interconnection and Net Metering Agreements

Rule and Regulation 21 sets forth the conditions and requirements for interconnecting customer-sited generation. Rate sheet 1-NM-1, Net Metering for Qualified Facilities applies when a customer generates electricity to offset their usage. SMUD may at its discretion require agreements for systems up to 1MW. Executed agreements are generally required for systems greater than 1MW.


This application is not for Solar or Distributed Generation Projects. Please submit those projects through PowerClerk 2.

If you would like more information or have questions or comments about rates, rules, and regulations contact: pricing@smud.org

Under a Feed-In Tariff (FIT), utilities such as SMUD offer standard published rates and contract terms for the purchase of electricity made from renewable energy resources and combined heat-power installations. SMUD's Feed-In Tariff is for eligible renewable energy resources and qualifying combined heat and power installations up to 5 MW.

Effective August 4, 2010, SMUD has suspended the acceptance of new feed-in-tariff applications.


Current queue status 
Map of Feed-in-Tariff projects 
List of applicants in the Feed-In Tariff queue
Frequently asked questions

SMUD's Feed-In Tariff queue is full

Thanks to everyone who submitted proposals for SMUD’s Feed-In Tariff. SMUD received enough applications for both the “A” pool and “B” pool to fill our Feed-In Tariff queue. Applications are no longer being accepted.

In the event that an application that currently has a reserved position is dropped, the next application with an unreserved position will be given an opportunity to get the released reserved position.

If you have a project and want to submit a proposal to SMUD, you may do so as an "unsolicited offer," which is a different process than for our Feed-In Tariff. See RFO and Unsolicited Offers if you are interested in submitting an unsolicited offer.

Documents related to the Feed-In Tariff

Contact us

For more Feed-In Tariff information, contact us by phone at 1-916-732-6244 or by email at powercontractsadmin@smud.org

Note: Interconnected energy storage will be treated as distributed generation and fall under Rule 21 interconnection requirements. Please refer to Rate Policy 11-01 for policy and requirements.

How do I connect my electricity generation project to the local grid?

  1. Submit Generator Interconnection Request
    • Small Generator Interconnection Requests - These are for projects that would connect into SMUD's distribution system. Typically, projects 20 MW and smaller will follow the small generator interconnection process. Click for the Small Generator Interconnection Application. You will also want to reference the Interconnection Guidelines.
    • Large Generator Interconnection Requests - These are for projects that will connect into SMUD's high voltage transmission system. Large generator interconnections are typically projects larger than 20 MW. Click for the Large Generator Interconnection Requirements.
  2. Submit a Service Request:  Your project will need service power to provide for station loads when your project is not generating. Check the Service Connection Rules above for more information. Call 1-916-732-5700 for a service extension application.

Transmission to places outside the SMUD service area

If you are interconnecting your generator to SMUD's system and intend to sell the output of your project to a utility other than SMUD, you'll need to submit a request to us for point-to-point transmission. If your project interconnects to SMUD's distribution system, you will be subject to a distribution wheeling charge to get your power to the high voltage transmission system, as well as a high voltage transmission charge.

If your project is interconnecting at 69 kV or lower AND has a capacity of 20 MW or less, please reference SMUD's Distribution Wheeling process in the following documents:

Application for Transmission Service

If your project is interconnecting at 115 kV or higher OR has a capacity greater than 20 MW, you'll need an Application for Transmission Service. If you don't know the Point of Receipt (the point where your project will connect to SMUD's system), then indicate the geographic location of your project (property address or cross streets). If you want SMUD to deliver project power to PG&E's system, the Point of Delivery will be Rancho Seco. If you want SMUD to deliver project power to the Western Area Power Administration System, specify Elverta as the Point of Delivery. Include a deposit of one month's transmission service charge with your application.