Job Type (select):
Step 1 of 8Prepare for your project
- This slideshow explains SMUD's meter and service process to connect to SMUD's electrical system. It also explains the common requirements for projects requiring SMUD meter and service work.
You can begin your request for service from SMUD any time by clicking the "Ready to get started?" link below. You'll find more information to help you with the application and construction process by following the following links:
Step 2 of 8Start the application process with your local agency
- Each local agency has its own requirements for construction projects. SMUD suggests that you discuss your project with the appropriate agency before submitting your project application to SMUD.
Click the link below for more information about local agency requirements.
View list of jurisdiction contacts
Step 3 of 8Submit your SMUD application and fees
- Submit your application, required documents and fees to SMUD. There are three ways to submit your application:
Online by clicking the button below:
Submit an online application
SMUD East Campus -- Operations Center
4401 Bradshaw Road
Sacramento, CA 95827
Design & Construction Services
P.O. Box 15830, MS EA-105
Sacramento, CA 95852-0830
Step 4 of 8SMUD assigns an engineering designer to your project
- Once SMUD receives your application and applicable fees, we'll assign a SMUD engineering designer, typically within one business day to be your single point of contact for your project.
Our engineering designer will address your project's schedule and electrical requirements to help make sure we meet your needs. He or she will work with you to confirm SMUD's existing facilities are adequate to service your project and manage other project details such as providing you with SMUD's service point location.
Step 5 of 8Customer installed civil improvement requirements (underground service only)
- If your service is underground, SMUD's engineering designer will provide you with the necessary drawings, specifications, and documents that explain the civil improvements you'll need to install before SMUD can begin installing its equipment.
Step 6 of 8Customer's construction of civil improvements (when required)
- Once you receive any drawings, specifications or documents from your SMUD engineering designer, you can schedule a pre-construction meeting with your assigned SMUD Inspector. The inspector will provide direction for any required civil improvements, which you can begin after the pre-construction meeting.
Step 7 of 8Customer seeks local agency inspection approval
- You'll need to contact your local agency and arrange for your electrical panel to be inspected.
Local agencies typically notify SMUD of their approval one business day after they approve the work.
A SMUD service crew will install the new meter and connect and energize your service once we receive inspection approval from your local authority. Our work is typically completed within seven business days of the meter panel inspection approval.
Step 8 of 8Meter and Service work completed and service energized
- Once SMUD receives the electrical inspection from your local agency, a SMUD service crew will be assigned to complete installation of SMUD's meter, connect or install service wire, and energize your service.
Ready To Get Started? Click here to start the application process