Save on your SMUD bill

SMUD's Energy Assistance Program Rate (EAPR) provides a monthly discount for qualified low-income customers. If you meet the following guidelines for household income and the number of people living in your home, please fill-out the application and send it to SMUD.

EAPR Application

Eligibility Guidelines (Effective February 1, 2021)
Persons in Household Monthly Income
1-2 $2,903
3 $3,660
4 $4,417
5 $5,173
6 $5,930
Additional members (each) $757

Frequently asked questions

Can I apply for EAPR online?

Yes. You can check your eligibility, apply online and upload your income/source of money documentation with your application. When we receive your application in our system, you’ll receive more information about the status of your application.


How current do my income/sources of money documents need to be?

The documents must be minimum of two consecutive months within the last two months; outdated documents will not be accepted. If you’re paid less than 12 months out of the year, please indicate that information on your application.

How is monthly income calculated?

  • Weekly pay period – average gross pay multiplied by 52 pay periods in the year divided by 12
  • Biweekly pay period – average gross pay multiplied by 26 pay periods in the year divided by 12
  • Semi-monthly pay period – (1st -15th and 16th - end of the month) average gross pay multiplied by 24 pay periods in the year divided by 12

Where can I get a benefit/award letter?
Most agencies/programs have websites for you to verify and print information.

How long will it take for my application to be processed?
A completed application package is usually processed within 2-4 weeks of being received. After you’ve been enrolled, the Energy Assistance Program Discount will be displayed as a line item on your SMUD bill each month.

How long will I receive the discounted rate?
We typically ask customers to re-apply every 1-2 years. When it’s time to re-apply, we’ll mail a recertification application which will require current copies of income/sources of money/benefit documentation.

Will my income documents be returned to me?
We’re not able to return your original documents, so please send COPIES of any income/sources of money/benefit documentation with your application.

What should I do if I no longer qualify for the discount?
If your income/sources of money or circumstances change, and you no longer qualify, please notify us by mail or give us a call at 1-888-742-7683 to update your account.

How is my discount calculated?
Your maximum discount is based on how your household income compares to the Federal Poverty Level (FPL).

What is the Federal Poverty level (FPL)?
The Federal Poverty Level (FPL) is used to determine financial eligibility for certain deferral programs. The guidelines are issued each year in the Federal Register by the Department of Health and Human Services.