Recycling benefits our community and our environment.
Did you know that recycling:
- Reduces the amount of waste in landfills
- Decreases water pollution and other environmental impacts of landfills
- Helps conserve natural resources, such as water and trees
- Lowers greenhouse gas emissions
SMUD offers a recycling program for refrigerators and freezers, one of the most common household sources of hazardous waste. We also provide helpful information about recycling lawn mowers, thermostats and compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
By recycling large appliances like refrigerators and freezers, you’re helping to keep our community clean and safe by preventing contaminants from getting into the landfill. Recycling, also conserves resources and helps reduce our community’s carbon footprint.
- You must be a SMUD residential customer
- Your old fridge or freezer must be in working (cooling) condition
- Appliance must be between 10 and 30 cubic feet
- Limit two units per residential address
- Customer must own the unit(s) being recycled
- Customer must follow safe pick-up requirements:
- Schedule your pick-up
- On the day of your appointment, move fridge or freezer unit to your garage, driveway, porch, or outbuilding
- Print and sign the release form and leave it inside the appliance
- Tape all doors and drawers shut on the appliance with a strong fabric tape at least 2 inches wide, such as duct tape (use 3 strips of tape on each door and drawer)
- Our crew will pick up the unit without any physical contact with you, and without entering your home
Ready to get started?
Don’t let an old, dirty gas-powered lawn mower take up space in the garage. Upgrade it to electric and go green!
We've partnered with the Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District (SMAQMD) to offer you $145 in instant rebates on a new electric lawn mower. Just follow these easy steps to claim your rebate.
- Get your account number from your SMUD utility bill.*
- Turn in your working, gas-powered lawn mower to Bliss Power Lawn Equipment.
- Pick out an eligible new cordless, electric lawn mower and Bliss will handle the recycling.
- Complete the application form at Bliss Power Lawn Equipment and get $145 in incentives at the point of sale.
- Income-qualified customers can receive an additional $100 rebate. If you’re applying for a low-income discount, please refer to the rate category on your bill.
It's as simple as that! Thank you for helping to keep our community clean and safe.
Questions? Call Bliss Power Lawn Equipment at 1-916-545-2381.
** This is a pilot program and is currently scheduled to end on November 30, 2021. The rebate pilot program is on a first-come, first-served basis and rebates will continue until all pilot program funds have been exhausted.
Have an old mercury thermostat? Remove, replace and recycle!
We've partnered with the Thermostat Recycling Corporation to give SMUD customers a $5 rebate for each mercury thermostat you recycle through their program.
- Fill out the form.
- Put the completed form and your old mercury thermostat into a sealed plastic bag.
- Drop it off at a local collection site.
Simple as that! Thank you for helping to keep our community clean and safe.
You’ve replaced your old, inefficient incandescent and compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) with energy-efficient LEDs, which use up to 80% less energy. High five! But what should you do with the old bulbs?
Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulb recycling
Did you know? In California, it's against the law to toss any light bulbs containing mercury into the regular trash. Because they contain small amounts of mercury, CFLs must be recycled.
Here are links to more information on municipal waste disposal in the SMUD service area:
Cleaning up a broken CFL
The Environmental Protection Agency recommends the following clean-up and disposal guidelines:
- Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
- Carefully scoop up the fragments and powder with stiff paper or cardboard and put into a sealed plastic bag.
- Use disposable rubber gloves if available. Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes.
- Put all cleanup materials into a second sealed plastic bag.
- Store the plastic articles in an outdoor area until they can be recycled properly at one of the locations listed above.
- If a CFL breaks on a rug or carpet, remove as much of the material as possible without using a vacuum cleaner. Sticky tape can be used to pick up small pieces and powder.
- If vacuuming is needed, clean the area where the bulb was broken, remove the vacuum bag and put the bag or vacuum debris in sealed plastic bags.
- Store the sealed articles in an outdoor area until they can be properly recycled.