customers without power from crashes in 2021
hit SMUD equipment in 2021
in repair costs per pole
We replace a power pole about every other day because of a vehicle crash.
Your safety is our first priority
We're seeing more motorists hit our power poles, often because of distracted driving.
We don't want to see anyone get hurt. 6 lives were lost in 2021.
Watch our video or read below on what to do if you hit a power pole.
Please steer clear of the poles and drive safely.
Tips in case you hit a power pole
|Stay in your vehicle and call 911.|
If your vehicle is on fire, jump out,
|Get at least 40 feet away and do not go back.|
|Do not touch your vehicle and the ground at the same time.||Call 911 and warn others to stay away from the area.|
On the road
We want to keep you safe, both in and out of your home. When driving:
Be safe always
- Never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Pay attention to and obey all speed limits and signs.
- If you are drowsy, pull off the road.
- Check both sides of the street before crossing at a green light.
- Make sure that you and your passengers are always wearing seatbelts.
- Use your cell phone for emergency situations only and after pulling over.
- Limit the number of passengers and activity inside the car.
- Avoid eating while driving.
- Do not attempt to multi-task while operating a vehicle.
Take extra care
- Adjust your driving during extreme weather conditions.
- If you have to be somewhere on time, leave early.
Total crashes involving SMUD equipment:
Most crashes into SMUD equipment happen December - May.
Drivers are ultimately responsible for all the damages related to a crash.
4-7% of all outages are caused by vehicles crashing into SMUD equipment.
It costs about $15,000 to replace a power pole.
If a power pole is hit multiple times, we look at solutions to reduce the risk that it will be hit again:
Install higher visibility reflective strips. All new
Install large, protective barriers around the pole.
Relocate the pole or structure.