customers without power from crashes in 2021
hit SMUD equipment in 2021
in repair costs per pole
We replace a power pole about every other day because of a vehicle crash.
Your safety is our first priority
We're seeing more motorists hit our power poles and equipment, often because of distracted driving.
We don't want to see anyone get hurt. 6 lives were lost in 2021.
Watch our video or read below on what to do if you hit a power pole.
Please steer clear of the poles and drive safely.
Tips in case you hit a power pole
|Stay in your vehicle and call 911.|
If your vehicle is on fire, jump out,
|Get at least 40 feet away and do not go back.|
|Do not touch your vehicle and the ground at the same time.||Call 911 and warn others to stay away from the area.|
On the road
We want to keep you safe, both in and out of your home. When driving:
Be safe always
- Never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Pay attention to and obey all speed limits and signs.
- If you are drowsy, pull off the road.
- Check both sides of the street before crossing at a green light.
- Make sure that you and your passengers are always wearing seatbelts.
- Use your cell phone for emergency situations only and after pulling over.
- Limit the number of passengers and activity inside the car.
- Avoid eating while driving.
- Do not attempt to multi-task while operating a vehicle.
Take extra care
- Adjust your driving during extreme weather conditions.
- If you have to be somewhere on time, leave early.
- When you’re driving through work zones reduce your speed, pay close attention to the signs and cones and always be prepared to stop.
Total crashes involving SMUD equipment:
Most crashes into SMUD equipment happen December - May.
Drivers are ultimately responsible for all the damages related to a crash.
4-7% of all outages are caused by vehicles crashing into SMUD equipment.
It costs about $15,000 to replace a power pole.
If a power pole is hit multiple times, we look at solutions to reduce the risk that it will be hit again:
Install higher visibility reflective strips. All new
Install large, protective barriers around the pole.
Relocate the pole or structure.