Inspiring students through hands-on and community events
California Solar Regatta
An exciting day of teamwork, competition and discovery takes place every year at our Rancho Seco Recreational Area.
SMUD’s fun, educational competition, is open to all high schools and colleges and universities in California.
Working together in teams, students design, build, and then race their own solar powered boats. Judged for speed, distance, maneuverability and more, students get hands-on, out of the classroom experience with renewable energy and engineering,.
This year’s changing weather, wind, and unforeseen equipment failures made it one of the most exciting events we’ve had. The West Valley College team deserves a special award for giving up their charge controller to Sonoma State’s team. A fine example of teamwork and camaraderie that demonstrates great promise for our future solar leaders.
Do you have questions? We’re here to help:
Contact Suzette Bienvenue
Energy Education & Technology Center
Start assembling your Solar Regatta team for 2018 and bring your innovation to life.
The date for the 2018 Solar Regatta is May 4 for high schools and May 5 for colleges.
High school and middle schools:
- REGATTA CUP Winner: Evergreen 6
- Best Video: Foothill High School
- Best Presentation: Granite Bay High School
- Best Design - Artistic: Laguna Creek High School
- Best Design - Technical: School of Engineering and Sciences
- Best Boat Design: Boy Scouts GEC North
- Spirit Award: School of Engineering and Sciences
- Sustainability: Boy Scouts of America Boaters
- Endurance Course: Evergreen 6
- Slalom Course: Evergreen 6
- Sprint Course: Evergreen 6
- Judges' Award: Pasteur Middle School
- Student Choice Award: Foothill High School
- Leading by Example: Folsom High School
- Other participating schools and organizations:
- Ceres High School
- San Ramon Valley High
- Leonardo da Vinci
- Rosemont High School
- Encina High School
- Heritage Peak High School
- Del Campo High School
- Heritage Peak High School
Colleges and universities:
- REGATTA CUP Winner: City College of San Francisco
- Best Video: City College of San Francisco
- Best Presentation: City College of San Francisco
- Best Design - Artistic: College of the Sequoias
- Best Design - Technical: U C Davis
- Spirit Award: U C Davis
- Sustainability: U C Davis
- Endurance Course: San Joaquin Delta College
- Slalom Course: Sonoma State
- Sprint Course: City College of San Francisco
- Judges' Award: Sonoma State
- Student Choice Award: Sonoma State
- Leading by Example: Sonoma State
- Special Award: West Valley College
- Other participating colleges and universities:
- CSU Chico
- Cosumnes River College Engineering
- Cosumnes River College Construction Management
- St. Mary's
- Skyline Community College
- Sacramento City College
- West Valley College
- Chabot College
- Butte College
Join SMUD and the California State Parks at the Historic Folsom Powerhouse for a family fun day of science activities, exhibits, tours and more. Download the 2017 handout to see event details.
- Learn about electric circuits
- Create solar art
- Pose as an electrifying superhero
- See what it’s like to be a line worker
- Tour the magnificent Powerhouse
- Hike the historic canal
- Check out electric vehicles
- Meet Mr. Electricity
- Have fun with family and friends with music, food and other activities
Solar Car Race
An exciting day of teamwork, competition and discovery takes place every year at Cosumnes River College.
The next event will be Wednesday, April 18, 2018.
SMUD’s fun and educational Solar Car Race is open to all high school students within SMUD’s service territory.
Working together in teams, students compete for not only the fastest car but also the best design, most sustainable, best engineering and most creative design.
Not only do students get hand’s on renewable, engineering, and design experience, but they also get to vistit a local college campus to talk with teachers and students about the college experience.
Students also love seeing the latest models of Electric Vehicles, with owners from the Sacramento Electric Vehicle Association on-hand to discuss the technology and benefits of driving electric.