What is PowerMinder
In partnership with VirtualPeaker, the PowerMinder program offers you the peace of mind that your home water heater uses energy when it's best for you without giving up comfort.
What it means for you
Did you know that the average residential customer in California spends 25% of their monthly electricity bill to power their hot water heater? With SMUD's new PowerMinder pilot program, customers can now save up to $100 per year.
Want to know more?
Ready to start saving?
Follow the steps below to get started
Check to see if you qualify
Accept the terms and conditions of participation
Enroll your heat-pump water heater
Maintain your internet connection
Once you've enrolled, you'll receive a one-time incentive of $150. We'll also credit your bill $2 each month for the duration of the pilot.
Do you qualify?
You may be eligible to enroll in PowerMinder if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a SMUD customer.
- You have or will purchase an internet-connected heat-pump water heater.
- You have a mixing valve installed on your water heater.
Note: Water heaters with a recirculation pump are not a good fit for this pilot.
Steps to enroll
- Connect your heat pump water heater to Wi-Fi using the touchscreen on the device.
- Download the EcoNet app and connect your heat pump water heater to the app.
- Before enrolling, please verify you can access your water heater home screen in the EcoNet app.
- If you can control your water heater with the EcoNet app, continue with enrollment and have your EcoNet login username and password ready.
- If you can’t see or control your water heater and you need help connecting your water heater using the EcoNet app, contact Rheem EcoNet support at (800) 255-2388 and tell them you are participating in SMUD’s PowerMinder program.