Go Electric incentives for multifamily properties
This program is designed for multifamily properties of 5 units or more with incentives to support switching to cleaner, more efficient electric space heating, water heating and cooking appliances. Electric appliances save money and increase tenant safety.
Incentives are also available to install upgrades that improve energy efficiency and to install electric vehicle charging stations.
For more information:
- Read our Multifamily Program Participant Handbook.
- Download the Technical Equipment Requirements for existing and installed equipment.
- Download the Program Measure Requirements for more information on the program measures.
- Heat Pumps for Water Heaters and Clothes Drying
- Building Electrification Solutions
- Ready to Add EV Charging to your Multifamily Property?
- Ready to Go Electric in your Multifamily Property?
View more online resources about going electric.
How the program works
This program is funded by SMUD and delivered by the Association for Energy Affordability, Frontier Energy and Brighton Energy. After you complete and submit an interest form, a program representative from Frontier Energy will contact you to discuss your project, provide an energy assessment and next steps. Once we determine your project qualifies, a program representative from Association of Energy Affordability or Brighton Energy will schedule a site visit to determine existing systems and help to reserve your incentives. The site visit may be in-person or virtual.
To get started, complete the interest form prior to construction. If you have any questions, email MultifamilySupport@frontierenergy.com or call 916-382-0332. A Multifamily Program Advisor will reach out within 5 business days to discuss your project and next steps to reserve your incentives.
- Install at least one gas-to-electric measure or have a program-compliant all-electric property. Exclusions may apply.
- Agree to a Tenant Engagement Plan.
Frequently asked questions
How do I get started?
The first step is to complete the interest form here. A Multifamily Program Advisor will contact you to discuss your project and next steps. Once we determine your project qualifies, we’ll visit the property to verify conditions and help to reserve your incentives.
What if I already started construction?
Can I reserve incentives now?
Yes, you can reserve incentives for the following calendar year and for up to one full year from completing your incentive reservation.
What is tenant engagement?
Tenant engagement is SMUD's effort to engage directly with the building tenants during various phases of the project. This may include distribution of SMUD educational materials by:
- Digital delivery (e.g. community newsletter)
- On-site community educational events
- Apartment visits
Can I upgrade one unit at a time? Are common areas included?
Unit-by-unit upgrades and common areas are included in the incentives. We’ll help you define a timeline and reserve incentives to match the pace of your project.