We support a variety of causes and organizations that help to make Sacramento a more beautiful place to live. From the city to the country, SMUD cares about your community. Let's work together towards a greener world.
Community Shade, a collaboration between SMUD and the Sacramento Tree Foundation, was established to help bring the beauty and benefits of shade trees into our community. This program is available for community service projects and public lands in the SMUD service territory, including parks, schools, sport fields, libraries and more. To learn more, go to sactree.com/communityshade.
We offer free wood chips to residential customers to spread as mulch around trees and shrubs, making soil more fertile, and helping trees keep growing during the summer heat. They are not available for commercial use.
You can pick up the chips at the following locations. Be sure to bring your own tools to load the chips, and bags to carry them in, or a tarp to cover a pickup load.
6100 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento
(Between 59th and 65th streets on Folsom Blvd.)
Monday - Friday, 9 AM to 2:30 PM
Elk Grove Water Service
9700 Railroad Ave., Elk Grove
Monday - Thursday, 8 AM to 3:30 PM
- Shine awards are available to nonprofits located in and serving communities in SMUD's service area.
- Shine awards are available in three funding levels: Spark (up to $10,000), Amplifier (up to $50,000) and Transformer (up to $100,000).
- If receiving a Shine award, applicants will need to provide matching funds for their project. A 50% match for Spark awards or a 100% match for Amplifier and Transformer Awards are required.
- Collaboration and joint applications are encouraged.
- Read the program guidelines.