If you're looking to save energy and save money on your multifamily property, we have two options for you. One is the special Home Performance Program for Multifamily. The other is our Multifamily Prescriptive Rebates program, which we introduced in 2009.
Option 1: Home Performance Program for Multifamily
To qualify for the performance based incentives, multi-family properties must contain three or more apartment units and improve energy efficiency levels by a minimum of 10 percent over existing property conditions. SMUD is offering incentives starting at $250 per unit for a 10 percent improvement in energy efficiency (only electric KWh savings) and increasing $25 for each additional percentage improvement to encourage deeper energy savings (i.e. 11% KWh savings = $275 per unit).
- Review the HPP-MF Program Summary Presentation - click here. Call SMUD at 916-732-6484 or send an email to Misha.Sarkovich@smud.org for additional information about SMUD's Home Performance Program — Multifamily (HPP-MF).
- Select and call an Independent Energy Rater (HERS II) - click here.
- Complete the Home Performance Program Multi-Family Application and submit to SMUD - click here.
- Perform an upgrade energy assessment (HERS II rater analysis).
- Receive approval from SMUD to proceed with upgrades (i.e. Notice To Proceed).
- Complete the energy efficiency upgrades (you select your own contractors).
- Perform and submit HERS II post-upgrade energy analysis.
- Independent HERS II Raters to submit completed Rater Verification and Construction Completion form - click here.
- Property owners and independent HERS II Raters will receive SMUD HPP-MF incentives only after the HERS II Rater submits the completed SMUD's Request for Payment forms to the HPP-MF program manager (for both construction and HERS II incentive payments) - click here.
SMUD's HPP-MF program imposed a limit of one hundred (100) MF units that can be used to calculate SMUD's total HERS II rater's incentive. The HERS II rater's incentive is set at $75 per unit, but the maximum compensation that HERS II rater could receive from the SMUD's program would be $7,500 ($75 * 100). The HPP-MF funding is available on a first-come first-served basis, until allocated funds are exhausted. The program may be modified or terminated without notice.
Option 2: Multifamily Prescriptive Rebates
Multifamily property owners may qualify for SMUD’s Express Energy Solutions (EES) rebates if the property has three or more units. Multifamily property owners can use these EES rebates to install qualified products in existing apartment or condominium units, and in the common areas of apartments, condominiums and mobile home parks. For a full listing of measures, performance requirements, and, eligibility rules, see our EES Procedures Manual.
EES rebates are flat prescriptive amounts paid according to each unit of qualifying equipment installed, and are aggregated into a single rebate check per project, subject to a project rebate cap. If you are ready to begin the application process, go to our Tips to speed your application.
For more information on Express Energy Solutions click here.
Questions? Call 916-732-5095, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Team with SMUD and Save--Energy Saving Practices for Multi Housing Residents
The following list is a sampling of some easy cost-saving practices which multifamily housing residents can use to reduce energy use in their apartment - click here.
New SMUD Multifamily Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger Rebates
In 2015 and 2016, SMUD is offering $1,500 rebate per EV charger installation or up to 75% of the total installation cost. For more information, please call 916.732.5887 or e-mail Deepak.Aswani@smud.org