This application will help you estimate the energy savings (KWh saved), capacity savings (KW saved) and pounds of carbon and CO2 sequestered as a result of mature trees planted individually in urban and suburban settings.
To use the calculator, you'll need to know:
- The average cost of electricity in summer and winter months (you can find this on your SMUD bill).
- The tree species (common OR botanical name).
- The age of the tree from the tree planting date OR the tree diameter at the breast height (DBH).
- The number of trees planted.
- The location in the US, which would determine the climate zone.
- The direction your tree faces (for trees planted next to buildings).
- The distance between the tree and the building that is being shaded.