Custom incentives: Refrigeration
We offer our business customers financial incentives to make retrofits that improve the efficiency of refrigeration systems. This part of our Custom Incentives program includes evaporative coolers and condensers.
*Note: You’ll need to pre-qualify with us before you begin installation.
$0.10 and $200/kW
- Up to 30% of project cost or $150,000, whichever is less
The demand (kW) reduction incentive will be paid only for projects that reduce electrical demand for at least one hour daily between 4 and 7 p.m. on summer weekdays (peak demand period). Incentives paid for peak demand reduction will be pro-rated for projects that do not reduce electrical demand for the entire 4-7 p.m. time period.
Examples of eligible measures
(The following is not a comprehensive list)
- High-efficiency chiller replacements that meet and exceed Title 24 baseline requirements
- Refrigeration complete subsystem replacements (condensers, evaporators, cooling towers, or compressors)
- Electric chiller heat reclaim
- Refrigeration floating head controller installations
- Conversions from constant air volume to variable air volume
- Variable speed drives on pump motors (including chilled water and cooling tower pumps)
- Refrigeration evaporator fan controls
- Demand control ventilation installation (CO2 sensors)
Certain refrigeration projects may be eligible for Express Energy Solutions program -- applying is easy through our online rebate application. Please check our website for eligible measures. Most EES measures do not require pre-approval.
For all other refrigeration projects, please contact SMUD's Custom Incentives program manager Steve Oliver (916) 732-6359 before you purchase equipment.