Our custom LED incentive program
Frequently asked questions
What are LEDs and how do they work?
- LED stands for light-emitting diode. An LED is a chip of semiconducting material that releases energy in the form of light. Please refer to the Department of Energy's website for further information on LEDs: (more information)
What does SSL mean?
- SSL stands for solid-state lighting. Solid-state lighting refers to a type of lighting that uses semiconductor light-emitting diodes (LEDs), organic light-emitting diodes (OLED), or polymer light-emitting diodes (PLED) as sources of illumination rather than electrical filaments, plasma (used in arc lamps such as fluorescent lamps), or gas.
What LED incentives are available from SMUD?
- We offer incentives for interior LED luminaires, exterior LED luminaires, LED Lamps, LEDs for refrigerator cases, LED exit signs, and red LED channel letters.
What are the eligibility criteria for LED incentives?
- The requirements vary depending upon the application.
I am a manufacturer. How can I participate in SMUD's LED incentives?
- Interior fixtures: Submit your product for ENERGYSTAR® approval.
- Replacement lamps: Submit your product for ENERGYSTAR® approval.
- Exterior fixtures: As of January 1, 2010, all new products must meet performance criteria set forth by the Design Lights Consortium and have a minimum CRI of 60. More information is available on the DesignLights Consortium website
- Our LED refrigerated and frozen food case lighting incentives are available for products on the DesignLights Consortium website.
I am a SMUD customer. How can I get an incentive?
- Contact SMUD Commercial Services at 1-877-622-SMUD (7683) to discuss your options.
What is DOE?
What is DLC?
- DesignLights Consortium is a collaboration of utility companies and regional energy efficiency organizations that is committed to raising awareness of the benefits of efficient lighting in commercial buildings.
Where can I find ENERGYSTAR Specifications for LEDs?
- On the ENERGYSTAR website
Where can I find a list of ENERGYSTAR approved fixtures?
- On the ENERGYSTAR Website
Where can I find a list of SMUD approved exterior fixtures?
- You can find qualified fixtures on the DesignLights Consortium website
Read about our customized LED incentives
Call our Commercial Services group at 1-877-622-7683 for eligibility verification or additional information.