We want to help you find cutting-edge solutions to energy efficiency. That’s why we developed our Customer Advanced Technologies (CAT) program. It’s a research and development program designed to help you use and evaluate new or underutilized technologies.
CAT provides funding for customers in exchange for a two-year monitoring agreement. This is a win-win proposition for you and for all of our customers as we strive to reduce the need for new power plants.
Unlike many R & D programs, ours emphasizes real-world demonstration projects. We’ve completed demonstration projects with lighting technologies, building envelopes, heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, and a wide variety of other technologies.
CAT produces a free electronic newsletter that is published and distributed via e-mail quarterly. It describes current research and includes a calendar of technology workshops. If you’d like to be added to the distribution list, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're interested in participating in SMUD's Customer Advanced Technologies Program or have questions about completed projects, please call (916) 732-6409. Or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
We’ve got reports!
These reports will help you understand the projects we’ve conducted. Please note that we provide these reports as a public service, but we don’t endorse specific products or manufacturers. (Mention of any particular product or manufacturer should not be construed as an implied endorsement.)
Light emitting diodes (LEDs)
Reports below describe innovative LED projects customers have undertaken in recent years.
- AmerisourceBergen LED Office Lighting
- AmerisourceBergen Warehouse LED Lighting
- CLTC LED T8 Replacement Lamp
- 7-11 LED Canopy Lighting tech brief
- Lake Forest ARCO LED Demonstration Project
- Bi-Level LED Bollards tech brief
- Bi-Level LED Garage Lighting Systems
- Light Emitting Diode (LED) lighting systems
- LED Sensors
- LED Hybrid Porch Light
- LED Freezer Case Lighting
- LED Downlights
- Tubular LED Retrofit
Other lighting technologies:
Lighting accounts for about 20 percent of all electrical energy use in California. So development of new energy-efficient technologies is important for our energy future.
- Fluorescent Dimming Ballast Study
- Blue Diamond Growers - Advanced Lighting Controls
- Smart Vanity Lighting System
- HID Labs SmartPOD
- California Kitchen Lighting System
- Office Torchiere Lighting System
- The Berkeley Lamp: An Evaluation of Dimmable Compact Fluorescent Table Lamps
- Just Right Light Ballasts: An Evaluation of Dimmable Fluorescent Lighting System Technology
- Lighting Circuit Power Reducers for Fluorescent Lighting Applications
- T5 Fluorescent Lighting Systems for High-Bay Applications
- Induction Lighting Systems
- Luxim Plasma Lighting
- Intel Advanced Lighting Controls Project
Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC)
We’ve worked with customers to install geothermal heat pumps, evaporative condensed air conditioners, indirect/direct evaporative cooling (IDEC) systems and other ultra-high efficiency cooling techniques.
- Coolerado Cooler final report: Innovative evaporative cooling system
- Evapercool tech report
- AquaChill: Split-system air conditioning
- Desert CoolAire technical assessment
- Desert CoolAire executive summary
- Operation IDEC Rescue: Advantages of proper installation and maintenance
- OASys: Indirect-direct evaporative cooling system
- Ice Bear Thermal Storage System
- Air Conditioner Service Light Project
Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)
SMUD customers have participated in demonstration projects for a wide variety of technologies including non-chemical water treatment systems, voltage regulation devices, solar powered lighting systems and solar powered pond circulators.
- NovaTorque tech brief
- NovaTorque brushless motor bench test
- Professional Wet Cleaning full report
- Professional Wet Cleaning tech brief
- Intelli-Hood: Demand Ventilation System
- CoolTrol: Refrigeration Management System
- Pulse-Power Water Treatment for Cooling Towers
- MCI Water Treatment Study
- Catalytic Water Conditioners
- The Electrical Harmonizer
- Solar Powered Lighting Systems
- SolarBee Technology Brief
- MicroPlanet: Enterprise voltage regulation
- Debbie Meyer Swim Center Report
- Evaluation of EnviroGrid Technology Performance