The monthly Connections newsletter brings you up to date on ways to save money and energy, news at SMUD and new technologies to help you manage your electricity usage.
Here are the topics covered in this month's issue. To read the full issue, download the pdf.
Power lines and vegetation often compete for the same space. It's our job to ensure they coexist in harmony.
Find out more about SMUD's history of environmental stewardship
Making spirits bright - safely
'Tis the season for holiday lighting. Here are some tips to brighten your home safely:
- Look for broken or cracked sockets and frayed or bare wires.
- Recycle damaged lighting sets.
- Keep ladders away from overhead power lines.
- Use electrical devices, cords and lights that are UL or FM approved (see labels).
- As a rule of thumb, string together no more than three light sets.
- Use one long extension cord instead of linking several shorter ones.
- Keep paper and ribbon away from hot lights.
- Unplug or shut off all decorative lights before bedtime or before leaving home.
- Use Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) with all outdoor lighting.