Northern California Solar Regatta
This event is open to all middle schools, high schools, and universities from Fresno to the northern California border. Participation promotes teamwork, competition and discovery at SMUD's Rancho Seco Recreational Area.
We are proud to sponsor this fun and educational event. SMUD will loan the solar panels and will help organize the teams. Students can either retrofit existing boats or build their own design from scratch. The boats will be judged for speed, distance, maneuverability and more.
2013 Regatta slideshow
Next event date
High Schools and Middle Schools race on Friday, May 16, 2014. Colleges and Universities race on Saturday, May 17, 2014. We will accept the first 25 applications in each category: High School/Middle School and College/University.
2013 Northern California Solar Regatta Winners
- Best Design-Mechanical: School of Engineering and Science (SCUSD)
- Best Boat Design: Laguna Creek HS
- Best Sustainable: Foothill HS
- Best Design-Artistic: Folsom HS
- Best Drivetrain: Ceres. HS
- Spirit Award: Evergreen Jr. HS (Paradise, CA)
- Best Video: Ceres HS
- Judges’ Award: Ceres HS
- Best Middle School: Evergreen
- Speed: Laguna Creek HS
- Slalom: Laguna Creek HS
- Endurance; Ceres. HS
- Presentation: San Joaquin (SJOE)
- Cup: Laguna Creek HS
Energy & Technology Center