As the nation’s sixth-largest community-owned electric service provider, SMUD has been providing low-cost, reliable electricity for more than 65 years to Sacramento County (and small adjoining portions of Placer and Yolo Counties). SMUD is a recognized industry leader and award winner for its innovative energy efficiency programs, renewable power technologies, and for its sustainable solutions for a healthier environment. SMUD is the first large California utility to receive more than 20 percent of its energy from renewable resources. See a map of our territory.
You can read more about SMUD's history here.
Some facts and figures
- Population in our service area: 1.4 million
- Size of our service area: 900 square miles
- Total accounts served (residential + business): 624,770
- Number of SMUD employees: 2,007
- Miles of power lines we own: 10,473
- Power from non-carbon-emitting resources: 50%
You can see SMUD's latest annual report and other important documents here.