Serving a population of 1.4 million people, we are the nation's sixth-largest electric utility that's owned by its customers. SMUD began delivering power to the Sacramento region in 1946 and since then has provided electricity for most of Sacramento County, as well as small portions of Placer and Yolo counties. See a map of our territory.
You can read more about SMUD's history here.
Some facts and figures
- Population in our service area: 1.4 million
- Size of our service area: 900 square miles
- Total accounts served (residential + business): 604,053
- Number of SMUD employees: 2,007
- Miles of power lines we own: 10,257
- Power from renewable resources: 27.7%
You can see SMUD's latest annual report and other important documents here.