Meter Change Out Project
We installed a smart meter at your home or business about 10 years ago. As part of our routine system maintenance we may replace some smart meters.
We’ll leave a door hanger about a week before we plan to replace the meter. We’ll attempt to call you with a reminder when we are on the way to replace the meter, and we’ll leave a door hanger after the meter is replaced or if we are unable to replace it for any reason.
You do not need to be present when we install the SMUD meter, but we will need unobstructed access to the meter. There will be a brief interruption in electric service while we replace the meter, usually lasting just a few minutes but could last up to 10 minutes.
To learn more, see our FAQs below:
- Why does the SMUD meter need to be replaced?
- We installed a smart meter at your home about 10 years ago. We are replacing the meter as part of our system maintenance.
- Will SMUD go into my yard?
- If the SMUD meter is in your backyard, yes. Please make sure the gate is not locked. Also, if you have any pets in the yard, please make sure they are secured.
- Do I need to be home?
- No. You do not need to be home when we install the meter, but we will need unobstructed access to the meter.
- What COVID-19 safety protocols will the meter technician follow?
- The meter technicians will follow all COVID-19 safety protocols including wearing a mask and practicing social distancing.
- Will my power go out?
- Yes, there will be a brief interruption, but it will only take a few minutes and usually only lasts a couple minutes but could last up to 10 minutes. You may need to reset your alarm clocks or other digital timers once the new meter is installed.
- Is this going to affect my bill?
- No, this will not have any impact on your bill.
- How will I know when the meter has been replaced?
- We’ll leave a door hanger to let you know we successfully replaced the SMUD meter. If we are unable to replace the meter, we’ll leave a door hanger with information and additional instructions.
- Where can I learn more about how the SMUD meter works?
- Visit smud.org/SmartMeters.