Inspiring students through community and hands-on events
California Solar Regatta
An exciting day of teamwork, competition and discovery takes place every year at our Rancho Seco Recreational Area.
SMUD’s fun, educational competition is open to all high schools, colleges and universities in California.
Working together in teams, students design, build and race their own solar powered boats. They are judged for speed, distance, maneuverability and more. Students get hands-on, out-of-the-classroom experience with renewable energy and engineering.
The dates for the 2020 Solar Regatta are May 1 for high schools and May 2 for colleges.
Do you have questions? We’re here to help:
Contact Suzette Bienvenue
Energy Education & Technology Center
May 3 – Prep category
- Regatta Cup Winner: #9 Laguna Creek High School
- Best Drive Train: #10 Boy Scouts
- Best Video: #11 School of Engineering and Sciences
- Leading by Example: #16 Pasteur Middle School
- Artistic: #6 Leonardo Da Vinci
- Sustainability: #11 School of Engineering and Sciences
- Technical: #13 Arcadia High School
- Presentation: #8 Folsom High School
- Endurance: #13 Arcadia High School
- Speed: #6 Leonardo Da Vinci
- Slalom: #9 Laguna Creek High School
May 4 – College category
- Regatta Cup Winner: #5 San Francisco City College
- Best Drive Train: #5 San Francisco City College
- Best Video: #5 San Francisco City College
- Leading by Example: #7 Ohlone Community College (#4 Sonoma State University and #9 Laguna Creek High School also)
- Artistic: #11 Humboldt State University
- Sustainability: #5 San Francisco City College
- Technical: #11 Ohlone Community College
- Presentation: #5 San Francisco City College
- Endurance: #13 Cosumnes River College
- Speed: #4 San Francisco City College
- Slalom: #13 Cosumnes River College
Join SMUD and the California State Parks at the Historic Folsom Powerhouse for a family fun day of science activities, exhibits, tours and more. Download the 2019 flyer to see event details.
The next event will be Saturday, September 12 from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Learn about electric circuits
- Create solar art
- See what it’s like to be a line worker
- Tour the magnificent Powerhouse
- Hike the historic canal
- Check out electric vehicles
- Meet Mr. Electricity
- Have fun with family and friends with music, food and other activities
Solar Car Race
An exciting day of teamwork, competition and discovery takes place every year at Cosumnes River College. Read the official rules.
SMUD’s fun and educational Solar Car Race is open to all high school students within SMUD’s service territory. The event is held annually, typically in the month of April.
Working together in teams, students compete for not only the fastest car but also the best design, most sustainable, best engineering and most creative design.
Not only do students get hands-on renewable, engineering and design experience, but they also get to visit a local college campus to talk with teachers and students about the college experience.
Students also love seeing the latest models of Electric Vehicles, with owners from the Sacramento Electric Vehicle Association on hand to discuss the technology and benefits of driving electric.
This event is free of charge to attend and SMUD provides the primary supplies including the solar panel, motor, gears, axles, wheels and tires. Plus, lunch is provided for all competing students.
The Solar Car Race will be held on Wednesday, April 22, 2020
9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Cosumnes River College 8401 Center Parkway Sacramento, CA 95823